Default folder for downloads

Reaction score
Is it possible, when downloading a file, to specify a folder other than one of those in the root directory?

Specifically, I download documents from different sources occasionally and I would like to save the files in different sub-folders in my "documents" folder - but I have yet to figure out how to either navigate to that folder or create a new one:radioacti

So after downloading, I have to go back into Finder and drag the recently downloaded file to its correct folder - big waste of time!

This seems like a terrible oversight on Apple's part.
Thanks in advance.

MK

Reaction score
G'day keating(at)mts.new & welcome to Mac-Forums.

I don't know which web browser you use but this is the low-down for Safari. Open up Safari's Preferences and in the General Tab, look for - "Save downloaded files to:" This is where you set the default location for downloaded files.

If you are asking how to change the location each time you click on a download link, then I'm afraid I don't know if it's possible in Safari.

Reaction score
I just realised I had OpenMenu X (link) installed, which is a contextual menu plug-in and I've been using it to remove files that are sitting on my desktop via, just right/ctrl-click on a file and you can select a destination and whoosh! it's gone!! I haven't configured it to deal with anything other than Documents so that's all I have in the contextual menu at present but I'm sure I could send images to the Pictures folder etc etc.

I don't know how it stands up to Hazel, but it keeps my desktop clean anyhow ... didn't even think to mention it before....

I liked it so much I bought it!

OpenMenu is a utility that allows you to freely customize contextual menus. You can open documents, applications, Applescripts, etc. any time you want to. OpenMenu supports dynamic browsing for volumes and folders,control key-free contextual menu popup, easy-to-use menu builder and much more. It also includes over 80 helpful Sample Scripts.

See screenshot of my contextual menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.