• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you think Leopard will match this?

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Thats some nice eye candy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sweet.

A bit gimmicky though. There's no point having stuff like that if it's not useful in any way - Leopard will hopefully have a few new graphical effects, but it has to be for a purpose.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I'm a real sucker for that kind of thing though - I love it. You're right though, Apple have the sense to only add features you really need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I put ubuntu/beryl on my pc and i love it. Though trying to do accual work when you have all kinds of nice gui things to play with isn't easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Apple Will most certainly not do that in any version coming up anytime soon. Apple is about making really seamless fast running software that happens to have some nice graphical touches. Leapord will be a fast operating system, and because that is the goal of everything apple does, that along with not dropping some of the older systems too soon, which they would have to do if they were to make something that looked like that.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I put ubuntu/beryl on my pc and i love it. Though trying to do accual work when you have all kinds of nice gui things to play with isn't easy.

Can I ask what spec your PC is? Is Beryl designed for older hardware? I'm going to stick this on a new PC at work and am wondering if I should be installing Compiz or Beryl.

Was it easy to install? I remeber trying to put Compiz on Kubuntu when it first came out - that was a real headache!

Reaction score
Fact of the matter is after yo do it once you'll probably never do it again. It's basically worthless.

For example hit **** + Option and double click on the window to minimize it. Cool huh? Useful? No.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Apple Will most certainly not do that in any version coming up anytime soon. Apple is about making really seamless fast running software that happens to have some nice graphical touches. Leapord will be a fast operating system, and because that is the goal of everything apple does, that along with not dropping some of the older systems too soon, which they would have to do if they were to make something that looked like that.

And thats why I love Apple so much more!

Too me its cool, but working with it would be hard and eat RAM/Processors. All I want is a computer that works and OS X does that very well. But I would like to play with it nonetheless.

Reaction score
Leopard doesn't need to match up to that. All Apple eye-candy has usually always had a functional basis. Having to hover about a cube to switch desktops seems a backward step in productivity to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
looks gd. i dont think lepeord will have quite as much as that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Like some other have said, it looks nice, but practicality is zip. Like the dashboard water effect when it first loads the widget, nice effect, but do I really care? Nope.

I think Leopard will beat this, and be more practical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm thinking Spaces will act very similar to the way VirtueDesktops does. You can seamlessly switch between desktops, but the animations don't get in your way. Sure, there's a cube, but it's nowhere near as obtrusive as the one in XGL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I'm thinking Spaces will act very similar to the way VirtueDesktops does. ... Sure, there's a cube, but it's nowhere near as obtrusive as the one in XGL.

Last I used XGL you could switch just like you can in VirtueDesktops. The 'click and manually drag' thing is purely optional.

I did try XGL + Compiz but found the experience to largely follow the pattern of "Log in ... Oooh ... Aaah ... *CRASH* ... *CURSE* ... Log in ... Oooh ..." and so on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Did you hear the music that was playing? I mean, osx just doesn't rock out like that. osx is into soft jazz or light insturmental. I think It even went to a Wham concert. So no, never!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
I remember someone saying something once like "There is a point where eye candy loses its functionality" or something like that. I liked the original quote, but I think I got the gist of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Anyone who's used Parallels will know you already get a cube style animation when switching from Full Screen back to OS X. It' snot quite as flash, but close. Core Animation can certainly do this kind of thing, the question is, how useful is it in real life?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Nice eye candy, but no pure functionality. And besides, it doesn't fit the classy Apple laptops; in short it doesn't seem to fit with the professionals.

I like it though, my 6 year old brother would love that too. I'd like to put that on my Linux desktop. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz aluminum unibody, 250 GB HD, 2GB RAM
Nice. It'd be fun for a while, I guess, but then I'd get bored with jiggling the windows and remember that I have no other reason to have linux installed on my MacBook. ^_^

Is it just me or does that video go on way too long and repeats entirely too much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
If I had to wait a full 2 seconds for a window to stop blobulating after clicking maximize... I might switch to Vista!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.