• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows or Mac

Reaction score
okay coming from a person that has used both Mac And Pc...

i have been using a pc for a while now becuase of the simple reason i play ALOT of games --- online games ( ones you download from the internet and play ) also store baught ones such as Counter Strike source. Now i know macs simply Destroy Pc's in almost if not in all aspects. but when i play games i dont want to worry about it running slow or having to play other games because the mac wont run them ... what do you thinks the better buy for me Mac or Pc ... and dont just give me the simple answers "macs own" "mac for life" ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Well, If you can afford a high-end Mac you can enjoy both. Otherwise you should stick to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It seems that most Windows games play well on a Mac if you have XP installed via Bootcamp. I understand there are some issues with playing games via Parells. If you can afford a higher end iMac. MacBook or a MacPro, you can run your Windows games quite well. Otherwise, stick with a PC until you finish your game playing phase of life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you are a die-hard gamer, stick with Windows.
Don't get a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
On the flip-side of what DB said, if you are a casual gamer, get the mac, and and dual-boot using BootCamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
It seems that most Windows games play well on a Mac if you have XP installed via Bootcamp. I understand there are some issues with playing games via Parells. If you can afford a higher end iMac. MacBook or a MacPro, you can run your Windows games quite well. Otherwise, stick with a PC until you finish your game playing phase of life.

i agree except with the higher end macbook. no amount of RAM you stick in there will make it run smoother than if you had a dedicated graphics card.

Reaction score
On the flip-side of what DB said, if you are a casual gamer, get the mac, and and dual-boot using BootCamp.

QFT.

Using Boot Camp, my MBP runs games as well as any other 2.33GHz C2D, 2G RAM, 256M ATI X1600 computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i agree except with the higher end macbook. no amount of RAM you stick in there will make it run smoother than if you had a dedicated graphics card.

You make a very good point. Any variety of the MacBook Pro or the 20" or 24" iMac, and of course the Mac Pro will certainly fit the bill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
QFT.

Using Boot Camp, my MBP runs games as well as any other 2.33GHz C2D, 2G RAM, 256M ATI X1600 computer.

QFT?

(This message is too short.)

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
My friend was in the same position, he bought a Mac Pro and it runs games smoother than anyother system I have ever seen, including alienware.

So either go hardcore get a Mac Pro of stay with windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heh... thanks for the clarification, ToddG. And, I suppose, thank you for the indirect comment by implying I might have an inkling of an idea of what I'm talking about.

:)

BTW, the aforementioned comment was my reasoning behind buying a 17" MacBook Pro... the best of both worlds. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

You're right. I should have left the MB out. Good catch!

OP
blanket3
Reaction score
well if i did get a mac it would have to be a g5 or a g4 so... but i looked for graphic cards for macs and didnt fidn much i am a fan of Gforce (nvidea) i basicly HATE ati, i only saw 1 price and it was insane amout of money ( 2999.99 ) for the nvidea video card i saw * it was 1 gig but the pc 1 gig video card is only 800...

Reaction score
A G4/G5 Mac will not play Intel-based/PC-based/Windows-based games. It will only run games designed to be played on the Mac. And I would expect -- pure speculation on my part -- that future games will be less and less likely to support the PowerPC chip even in Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well if i did get a mac it would have to be a g5 or a g4 so... but i looked for graphic cards for macs and didnt fidn much i am a fan of Gforce (nvidea) i basicly HATE ati, i only saw 1 price and it was insane amout of money ( 2999.99 ) for the nvidea video card i saw * it was 1 gig but the pc 1 gig video card is only 800...

I'm an nVidia fan as well, but as ToddG already pointed out, you will have a rough time finding any games that run on the PowerPC platform, so you would be best off buying an Intel Mac, which comes with ATI graphics.

Reaction score
For gamers who always buy the latest games, if you're going Mac you can NOT buy anything except a Mac Pro (the standalone tower). One reason: it's the only Mac whose video card you can upgrade.

Reaction score
The MBP has a perfectly acceptable video card that will be suitable for games for at least another year or two.

Some of the iMacs are available with much better cards.

In my experience, by the time I really need a new video card, I need a new hard drive, a new processor, a new ... well, everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.