Selecting Default Application for Files Problem

Reaction score
Hi folks, im a new switcher (and am loving it :teen: ) but im having one small annoying problem. I know to switch the default program for a file type you control click and hit get info select the program and hit ok when the prompt comes up to confirm. What happens is i successfully change the default program, but after a few restarts it chenges it back to the previous program it originaly had for the file type. (ex. .pdf from Preview to acrobat after a few restarts goes back to Preview as the default program). If anyone knows how to fix this from happening i would appreciate it, Thanks.

T

todd51

Hmm..that's interesting, as of right now I don't know. Maybe you've accidentally opened another PDF file in Preview and it automatically changes back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Right i dont know if this helps but on my Macbook
i can click on the program so it highlights blue
then click it with two fingers on the touch pad which brings down a menu
from this i select the open with text
select the program you want
then tick the box always open with the selected program

This is very simular to windows
Hope this helps

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the replies :mac: , i called apple care and they said that happens when the finder .plist file becomes corrupted, so they had me delete it and the computer made a new one when i restarted. they also said it may be file vault. So i'll see how it goes and post if i have the problem again.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.