mac osx anti virus software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I was on the mac store this morning 'http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/6634042/wo/593KM3nrOUrd2oJf93nBctJEgHx/1.3.0.8.16.1.1.2.1.3.1.1.0?88,62' and i was surprised to see that they sell mac antivirus and other security software.
I thourght macs had no spyware? well thats what there advert said didnt it?
Does this protect your mac or pick up windows virus's?

Reaction score
There are no know viruses for the mac. Period.

So what is that product for, that you saw?
Well simple. Windows Viruses could be on your mac right now. They won't harm you, because they can't, but they might spread over to other computers from yours that run Windows. And so, you can choose to help in protecting PCs by having anti-virus on the mac.
My philosophy is to protect the PC's themselves, though. Why bother with the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
***? Where did you get that information??

The general consensus is that there are no known viruses for OSX. The only ones I've ever known were hacks to exploit iChat bugs that users had to invoke manually.

Do you know different from the rest of us?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2G RAM
Just kinda sounded unbelieveable, but I researched a little bit, and nothing goes against what you're saying.....MAC rules ;)

Reaction score
Ditto knightlie, there are no know viruses that can infect OS X. Theoretically, it is possible to choose to install exploits, malware and possibly a virus, but it takes active participation in the installation process. You can't protect against user error!

Reaction score
I'm more worried about spyware. Not doing anything, but taking up disc space. Would like to clean anything out I can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I use macscan...had 36 spywares on it yesterday...To date I still have no virus protection and running fine...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I think I've read there have been some proof of concept viruses for the Mac, but there is not one "in the wild" for OS X.

But just in case you are curious, here's a free virus scanner for the Mac: http://www.clamxav.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.