Is there a way to make iTunes NOT add every song you play to the Library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
I don't mean:
preventing iTunes from copying the song to the iTunes folder. (I know that can be turned off.)

I mean:
to prevent iTunes from automatically adding a played song to the iTunes Library list.

(edited because the way I said it seems to have confused everyone ;p )

Reaction score
Could you try and rephrase your question. I am having a hard time understanding what your asking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
check in the prefs.

Reaction score
G'day remain,

Can I ask you for what purpose this is? I understand that you wish to play a song using iTunes but you don't want iTunes to display the song in the library.

What I do is just delete the song from the library and if prompted, from the Hard Drive. I don't know of anyway to achieve what you ask for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
If I want to listen to songs that I'm not sure I want to keep, I either drag them into a playlist and then option-delete them (this deletes the actual song files in playlists as well or play them with VLC/Quicktime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
DO you mean "stop them from playing but keep them in the library?"

On Windows you select anything that you don't want to play when you've got shuffle mode on and then right click it and there is an option to not play it when in shuffle. This is handy if you have pod casts that are say lectures for example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
There is no way that I know of to get iTunes to play a song and not add it to the library. Instead, I use cog to play files that I just want to listen to once then delete or not add to the library. That way I can just leave iTunes to manage my library and not worry about random snippets I might want to listen to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
There is a way my friend. Go into the Preferences. Go to the advanced section. The first popup menu is labeled "On CD Insert" Open the popup menu and set it to "Show CD". I just tried it and it did not add the tracks I played to the library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
Sorry. I just read your post again and realized what you are really trying to do. I don't know how you could do that other then getting a separate app to rip your CD's outside of iTunes, Then manually add them to iTunes if you like them.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
I reworded the original post. I didn't realize it was THAT incomprehensible. XD

I'm glad SOME people did understand what I meant.
(that is, to play a song, but without iTunes automatically adding it to its Library list)

I see there isn't any direct way to do this.

Hmm, how unfortunate.

Pulse-8:
"Can I ask you for what purpose this is? I understand that you wish to play a song using iTunes but you don't want iTunes to display the song in the library."

Yeah, as mentioned by Aptmunich and cazabam above,
it's for when I listen to something I wouldn't want to have in my Library.
For instance, let's say an "explosion" sound effect.
Let's just say I don't want to suddenly hear that a week later when I'm doing work with iTunes on.

Up until now, like Aptmunich and cazabam, I basically opened such a file in QuickTime or something.

But I had hoped there was a better way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Up until now, like Aptmunich and cazabam, I basically opened such a file in QuickTime or something.

But I had hoped there was a better way.

iTunes is primarily a library management application. It uses the same audio libraries as the QuickTime player. If you don't want a track in your library, the best way is to use a different application. QuickTime is the generic 'media' player whereas iTunes is the library management software, so using QuickTime is the 'official' way to do it.

Reaction score
Best thing is to right click, get info, and play it on the preview at the bottom. I also dont like that it auto adds to the library list but dont think there is a way around it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Best thing is to right click, get info, and play it on the preview at the bottom. I also dont like that it auto adds to the library list but dont think there is a way around it.

Good one there biffyiffy! I have done that so many times I am surprised I did not remember to suggest that. Works like a charm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.