• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gone Sailing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi all... or perhaps I should say "bye all", for the next week anyway. My wife and I are heading off tomorrow for a one week Caribbean vacation aboard one of Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (www.windjammer.com) sailing ships. Sounds like a lot of fun.

These are older schooners and windjammers that have been converted to the passenger trade. They are small and laid back - definitely not the frenetic style of vacation that passes for cruising these days on ships like "The Behemoth of the Seas" and the like. The attached thumbnail shows the one we will be on.

So, you won't see my "smiling face" around here for the next week. I will post a photo or two when I get back, and perhaps even a short review if there is interest.

Bon Voyage!

1064523130.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i hope you have fun and enjot yourself. How many people are going to be on that boat. Is it going to just be you and your wifer?

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There will be about 100 other passengers - that would be a BIG boat for just my wife and I!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
the picture doesnt do the boast justice. the boat doesnt look to big from that picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
Have an outstanding holiday!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
(outdated link removed)

That boat was my home for 12 weeks last spring

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
You will be missed, but as I sit here in the snow and more a comin' I'm trying to hold back the envy! Have a great time.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trpnmonkey41, that looks awesome. I am jealous - 12 weeks! You must have had a blast. What area were you sailing in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
mac57, I hope you and your wife enjoy your vacation!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Wow, a pleasure cruise? Heh... and all this time I thought going to sea was punishment... ;)

Have a great time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
trpnmonkey41, that looks awesome. I am jealous - 12 weeks! You must have had a blast. What area were you sailing in?
this was my track. we stopped for science research several times along the way. spent 5 days in port antonio jamaica, 5 days in roatan, honduras

(outdated link removed)

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AWESOME... just awesome!

Reaction score
I saw a ship like that when I went on my cruise afew years back..I was jealous of all the people on it because it was so pretty compared to the bulking thing I was on:bone: I'm sure you're going to have so much fun! Can't wait to see pics :black:

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are back! It was a great vacation - sailing ships are an awesome vacation that make the "big iron" cruise ships pale by comparison. I will post some pictures in the next week or so, as I process them through Photoshop, but for now just wanted to thank everyone for their good wishes in this thread!

If you are interested in a sailing "cruise type" vacation, check out any of:

www.windjammer.com

www.starclippers.com

www.windstarcruises.com

In general, the above three all offer "cruise type" vacations on small sailing ships (no more than 350 passengers, vs. 3000+ on the big ships). In all cases, the focus is on the joy of sailing, the exploration of small islands and the shared experience with your fellow passengers. There is none of the non stop PAR-TAY type experience on the big ships, and only a limited amount of organized on board activities. The experience is low key, laid back, and focused on the sea and the islands.

Of the above three, Windstar is the closest to the big cruise ships, with the expected gleaming white hulls, ornate fittings and the like. Still, passenger counts are way down (150 typically, 350 on their biggest ship) and the ships travel under sail power a lot of the time. Windstar ships present an unusual appearance - they look like small cruise ships with masts stuck into them. While closest to the big ships, Windstar is still a long, long way away from them in terms of size and focus.

Star Clippers provides a truly unique experience. Like Windstar, their ships sport clean white hulls and most modern amenities, but they run a fleet of real, purpose built, square rigged clipper ships. Again passenger counts are way down vs. the big ships (max seems to be about 250 passengers on their biggest ship, the Royal Clipper). The Star Clipper ships are modern, well fitted out and provide most of the amenities of the big ships in terms of cabins, service and the like. However, they are very, very focused on the experience of traveling under full sail, and enjoying the islands and your fellow passengers.

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (the one we went on) takes yet another tack on the whole thing. They run a fleet of refurbished and reconditioned original windjammers (a class of wide bodied sailing ships popular right up to the end of World War One as cargo haulers). These ships are small relative to the Windstar and Star Clipper ships, and because they are older, cabins are smaller and the general level of amenities and fittings is the least of the above three. Windjammer Barefoot Cruises goes for more of the original authentic experience. They wrap a truly laid back and relaxed experience around these smaller ships, with a truly friendly and fun loving crew, lots of unique ports of call, and even opportunities to pitch in and help with such things as raising the sails. We thoroughly enjoyed our time on their s/v Polynesia (interesting name, given that we were sailing around the Virgin Islands) and hated to leave. Windjammer has a bit of "roughing it on the open seas" about it, and they even celebrate this fact, touting the fact that "this ain't no foo-foo ship"!

Anyway, thats a quick run down of the major options in the area. Have a look if you are interested! Meantime, we had a great vacation, and unfortuntely must now dive back into the real world, instead of the sparkling Caribbean!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Welcome back mac57!!!!! Sounds like it was lots of fun. Actually pitching in and helping sail the ship is more inviting to me than eating around the clock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.