What can I erase and delete ?

Reaction score
OPk, I am finding that I am cluttering up the desktop and my downloads folder with stuff.

Can someone define something for me:

.app = actual application <if I delete, program no workie>

.dmg = install file package? (once program is extracted and installed can I delete this)

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Oui... Feel free to drop the .dmg, unless you want to keep it for backup purposes. The .app is the application and all its associated bundles...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
Yeah, that took me a minute to figure out also. I thought you were just supposed to drag the disk image into the applications folder. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that I'd just made short cuts to the things I had deleted from my desktop. That was definitely my 'D'oh' moment for the week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Most software is delivered in .dmg files. You open those up, copy the .app file to your Applications folder and then eject the dmg image and delete the .dmg file. That gets BOTH of them off your desktop. Nice and tidy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.