How to Install/ Download

Reaction score
I have a newbie question. Sorry of this has been covered before, I did a search and didn't find anything.

I have noticed that when I install programs via the internet that they install directly to "Applications". However, when I install Firefox and a few other programs the only files found are in Library>>Application Support>>FireFox. they never seem to make it directly to "application".

I'm assuming that the 2 files (.dmg and drive looking icon) that appear on the desktop when downloading are then suppose to be deleted.

Any help or direction is much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Erin

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are you actually opening the dmg file and then dragging the icon(s) out of that window into your applications folder, or when you run them are you opening the dmg and then double clicking on the icon in that window?

(you should be doing the former)

check out the "How do I install programs?" question in the "Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information" thread.

and welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, 2.0 GHz Dual Core 2 Duo Processor, 1GB RAM, Mac OSX Tiger
I am also new at this, but I can answer at least part of your question. Yes, the files on the desktop can be deleted when you are done downloading and moving it to the applications folder. As for Firefox, I didn't have a problem like that, so I can't help you there.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I am opening the dmg file and then double clicking the icon in that particular window.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You need to open the dmg file and drag the application to your desktop or applications folder, then delete the dmg file. Once you have done this you can open the program from your computer and it will work fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.