Newly switched with printer problems

Reaction score
I got my MBP last week and love it, except for printer problems. I have a xerox m15i printer that is connected to my winxp machine and evertime I print the printer spits out about 25 pages of crap. xerox doesn't have mac drivers for the m15i but I didn't know if I was missing something. My mac recognized the printer fine but it doesn't work right

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I got my MBP last week and love it, except for printer problems. I have a xerox m15i printer that is connected to my winxp machine and evertime I print the printer spits out about 25 pages of crap. xerox doesn't have mac drivers for the m15i but I didn't know if I was missing something. My mac recognized the printer fine but it doesn't work right

Thanks

Are you sharing the printer out from your XP machine? If so, it might be the machine acting as a print server that is the problem. Try connecting the printer directly to your Mac.

Also, check to be sure that you are indeed using a printer driver specific to that printer model. Sometimes, when Mac OS can't find an appropriate driver, it will use a "Generic Postscript" driver that in most cases will not work.

I can't seem to find that particular printer on the Unix Printer compatibility guide charts. Usually you can find a compatible driver with this website if there isn't a native version.

Mac OS comes with a Linux-based driver package for printers known as Gimp-print. You may need to update your gimp-print package to find the right driver:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

OP
B
Reaction score
Are you sharing the printer out from your XP machine? If so, it might be the machine acting as a print server that is the problem. Try connecting the printer directly to your Mac.

Also, check to be sure that you are indeed using a printer driver specific to that printer model. Sometimes, when Mac OS can't find an appropriate driver, it will use a "Generic Postscript" driver that in most cases will not work.

I can't seem to find that particular printer on the Unix Printer compatibility guide charts. Usually you can find a compatible driver with this website if there isn't a native version.

Mac OS comes with a Linux-based driver package for printers known as Gimp-print. You may need to update your gimp-print package to find the right driver:

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

I guess my printer has no support for unix. Kind of sucks as it was a expensive machine(for me). I just went out today and bought an hp 2605dn and it works great with the mac.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess my printer has no support for unix. Kind of sucks as it was a expensive machine(for me). I just went out today and bought an hp 2605dn and it works great with the mac.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for a driver for that printer. I too was surprised that Xerox wasn't issuing a driver itself as Xerox has been known to support UNIX-like OSes in the past.

That looks like a really nice machine, and one that would appeal to me too - it's really quite a shame that there isn't much driver support (yet). Let's hope future versions of Gimp-print (now known as Gutenprint) support that device.

I wish I could have been of more help.

OP
B
Reaction score
I spent quite a bit of time looking for a driver for that printer. I too was surprised that Xerox wasn't issuing a driver itself as Xerox has been known to support UNIX-like OSes in the past.

That looks like a really nice machine, and one that would appeal to me too - it's really quite a shame that there isn't much driver support (yet). Let's hope future versions of Gimp-print (now known as Gutenprint) support that device.

I wish I could have been of more help.

If you find a m15i you might want to think twice about it. They are releasing its replacement in February, the 4118 Maybe? It is faster and $200 cheaper then the m15i I bought. The xerox machines are expensive, but you can always get parts and they never jam.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you find a m15i you might want to think twice about it. They are releasing its replacement in February, the 4118 Maybe? It is faster and $200 cheaper then the m15i I bought. The xerox machines are expensive, but you can always get parts and they never jam.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not in the market at the moment (I bought a Canon MP500 not too long ago for my AIO needs), but I'm disappointed to say the least that a major company like Xerox doesn't support the Mac. I work as a network admin for a large insurance company and people tend to come to me to ask my opinions on different products. I'll be sure to steer people clear of any company that refuses to support alternative OSes - Mac or otherwise.

Reaction score
I have the 2605dn that worked perfectly with my Win computers, but since switching to Mac (iMac, MBP) I cannot print in duplex mode. I am never given an option of checking the 2-sided box prior to pressing the final Print button. Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.