Mac OS On Old PowerMac

S

SwordMonger

I have recently acquired an old powermac 7200/90 which has no OS installed on it. I was wondering if there was any default OS that can be placed on the mac without purchasing a license. I am not familiar with Apple legal issues and the apple site offered me no help whatsoever. Any information I can get would be most appreciated.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There is a list of Hardware and what the latest software tha runs on it. I don't have it in front of me. You may want to search for old Mac OS level.

OP
B

Badger

Mactracker lists OS 7.5.3 as the shipping sytem for this model. Apple tech info - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25114 - shows that the 7200 can use any system version from 8.0 to 9.1. you can use up to 9.2.2 if you install OS 9 Helper (see info at www.zone6400).

OS 8, 8.5 and 9.0 were commercial releases, 8.1, 8.5x and 9.1 were free updates. I believe that OS 9 is still available from Apple but the others are long out of production. Check some of the adds in the mac magazines for discounted or used system sets.

Badger

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.