• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

New UK Apple ads

Reaction score
There new UK versions of the Get a Mac ads on apple.com/uk. They star David Mitchell and Richard Webb of That Mitchell and Webb Look – http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/thatmitchellandwebbsite/

The PC guy (Mitchell) is pretty on the button, but Webb isn't so good as the Mac guy. I'd say they've tried to remove the "smugness" that was criticised by many in relation to the US ads, and the Pie Chart ad has been well tweaked to be a little more English, but I think I still prefer the US ads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Shows what you know then.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I love thoses guy the Peep show is great. The Japanese versions are mental too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Grrrr!!!

I had an idea the other day about UK get a mac ads. I was thinking how amazing it would be to have the guys from the Mighty Boosh (Noel Fielding and Julian Barratt) with Noel using a Mac and Julian a PC. Are there any Boosh fans here that can agree how good that would be?

I'm sure Mitchell and Webb will be ok but after imagining Fielding and Barratt it could never be as good. The relationship between them would work so well for a British audience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3qrfFYbYf4

Who can I contact to get this done, anyone have an email address for Mr. Jobs?

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Noel would've been great – although perhaps a little scary for those unfamiliar with him!

Never saw Boosh, but saw him on Johnathan Ross and that end-of-the-year quiz thing he did with Russell Brand – very funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
He cracks me up, I can just picture him telling Julien about how creative he's being with iLife "I designed these boots to match my hair" and getting some response from from Julien about hows he's a "serious poet" or something. But if you haven't seen the Boosh I just sound like a rambling fool...

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
I've seen clips of it, so I know what you mean. It's a shame me and the missus missed the series because I think we would've liked it.

Reaction score
Hmm, it's just not pulled off as convincingly as it's American and Japanese equivalents. Shame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
MartinS - I got the box set at xmas and definitely recommend it, the missus loves it too. Have a look at the link I posted above, there seem to be a few episodes on youtube - not sure about the quality as I can't see them here at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hmm, it's just not pulled off as convincingly as it's American and Japanese equivalents. Shame.

I don't agree with you there. David Mitchell is spot on as the PC guy!

Reaction score
I don't agree with you there. David Mitchell is spot on as the PC guy!

See that's the thing, I think he's good and wouldn't argue against that but after seeing the US originals he seems a little rough around the edges performance wise on a couple of them. With that said I look forward to seeing more.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Yeah he screams that 9-5 guy. Especially if you have seen the peep show.

The Japanese ads are good too.

Domo Mac desu.

Domo PaCom desu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Well I really like the American ads I wish they would just show those in the UK.

I've had a look at the UK Mac Adverts and they are funny but I just think the US ones are better. Personal thing I guess.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Some people get up tight sometimes if they have Americans advertising too much. Its Just apple playing it save. I know its dumb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
oh, never thought of it like that, fair point I guess.

I had a look at one of the Japanese ones, and because I've seen it before in English I could still tell what they were on about and I found it funny even though I have no Japanese language skills. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I live in the UK and haven't seen the ads on TV, but saw them on the Apple UK site and prefer the US ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The Boosh would make the ultimate Apple ads.

Maybe Tony the Prawn could make an appearance?

edit: just watched the new ads. They're ace, especially Tentacle :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I've now watched the ads and they're ok, still think the Boosh would be better but it's still good. Don't really have a preference over the UK or US versions, both cool.

Now I'm just waiting to see them on TV - I realised yesterday that I've never seen a Mac ad anywhere except on the net when I've chosen to look for them. iPod ads all over the place but no Mac ads and I'm pretty certain that simply based on their look (iMac) they'd generate a lot of interest, so why no ads so far? Or have I just not been watching enough TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
The Boosh would make the ultimate Apple ads.

Maybe Tony the Prawn could make an appearance?

I was thinking the Hitchhiker could appear as a virus "I'm a cockney virus, I've come to fiddle with ya hardware"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.