• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My PC Project[A story of annoying failures because of a stupid fried mobo.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
It all started with a thought. I hated to see that beautiful(somewhat) HP machine that had what I thought was a good processor/motherboard just sitting around, with a bad HDD.I gave up on it after hp told me some prices. So, I thought I had enough know-how to rebuild this machine in to something new. So, I bought a new case and a new drive and new ram for the machine.

Now, on startup, there is this BEEP! whenever it tries to start up. The processor practically melted, and so did the crappy intergated graphics. I left this project alone for about six months, and I started to think about it. So, today, I went down to MemoryExpress and bought a new ASUS mobo and a new Intel Celeron D 3.06 GhZ processor. And then, I find out that I have DDR RAM and not DDR2. I was so depressed, and still am from earlier today. so, I'm still gonna have to buy new ram, and see if things work.

My brother, also got a new bike frame today, within about an hour he was riding the bike he built.:( That made me feel bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBookPro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz 2 GB RAM, 120GB HD
Ah geez... and just when you think you've got it figured out you'll need something else. If you have the DDR RAM just see if memex has a mobo that will work with it. They have been great with me in the past. It is worth a try.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nahh, im just gonna get new ram

T

todd51

Well, good luck and I hope it works once you get the new ram installed, mind picking me up a 1gig stick for my MBP? ;)

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Gah, I'm so sick of mine. I have brand-name hardware, but Winblows keeps screwing me over... The other day, everything was perfect (or so I thought), then all of my quicklaunch shortcuts stopped working and gave me errors.

Rebooted.. Everything worked fine (again, so I thought). Computer randomly reboots... About 17 times in 10 minutes.. It's been 6 days since that happened and it's now collecting dust. God I can't wait to get this thing sold.. It works great when windows wants to.

T

todd51

I had a similar problem with my older Windows machine. I left it sit for a couple of months since I bought my MBP and I went home this past holiday break from school and booted it up. Countless numbers of errors came up on startup, along with MSN Messenger NEVER working again, even after reinstalling it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I've been very lucky and haven't had any catastrophic failure on my PC that has been running solid for about 3 years (knock on wood). However, I have had some very, very bad luck with Intel machines. I've never had an Intel processor last longer than a week... so for my gaming machine (always a PC, for obvious reasons) I have stuck with AMD after my last Intel (P3-733) fried after 6 days of use...

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:

I have my new RAM. I can finally try to boot it up.

See what happens here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Doesn't look like it booted.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:

I'm purchasing a new power supply. It is gonna be a better one than this current one, as this one is a 350watt one.

OP
iRye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.