Automatically Reconnecting to Server (Network Share Mapping_

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
Hi Gang,

Its me again, lol with another question. I've figured out how to connect to my network file server by using "connect to server" under Finder. It works fine, but open logging out and logging back in the mapping is gone. Also, when the computer goes to sleep I also lose the mapping. Is there a way to automate the mapping process where it does it for me?

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Its me again, lol with another question. I've figured out how to connect to my network file server by using "connect to server" under Finder. It works fine, but open logging out and logging back in the mapping is gone. Also, when the computer goes to sleep I also lose the mapping. Is there a way to automate the mapping process where it does it for me?

G'day jprez1980,

I used to have the exact same frustration and didn't think there would be an easy way to get around this, but there is.

This is how I did it ... when the mapped shares were mounted on my desktop, I navigated to System Preferences>Accounts. Next, click on your UserAccount in the left pane and if the padlock needs opening, enter the admin password. Then click on the Login Items button and return to the Desktop and drag the mounted share icon/s right into that Login items window.

Now, whenever you login, providing the other networked computers are turned on, the mapped shares will automatically mount.

Of course like everything on a computer, there are other ways to achieve this but the above takes care of it for me.

Another useful tip is for when you lose the Server Address details that you need for the Connect to Server box. Look to the right of the text box and the second icon with the clock in it. Click on that and the address of your recent servers are stored there. This has saved me once before too! I always forget to write these things down and I'm terrible at remembering them or even how to find out this info elsewhere.

OP
jprez1980
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for. Entering the share info in every time got to be real old real fast lol. Thanks again!! :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2Ghz Macbook
This excellent bit of advice has saved me a world of hassle as well - thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 1.33Ghz
That neat little trick saves me too! in not having to every morning to go click click and log onto the network drives

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.