microphone won't work

Reaction score
My iMac won't take a microphone in on the audio in jack. When i plug it in with the sound panel up in preferences it spikes a little on the plug in (probably feed back), but it won't register a mic. It uses my internal mic. Is this common? i noticed it's call an audio in jack not a mic input. Do I have to use a USB mic, or is my mic input broken?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
Again, I don't know how to quote outside of a particular thread, but TenderSurrender offered this advice when someone wanted to have input from a guitar.

"go to the preferences for garage band (top left hand corner click garage band then preferenecs) and in there, is the settings which choose the input."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Also be careful about audio levels. You were right on point when you noted that it is an audio in, not a mic in. There difference is signal levels. If you literally yell into your microphone, you will see the volume meter move ... a little, but not much. The signal strength is too low.

To overcome this, since Macs don't seem to have a Mic In jack, you need to get an external connection. The iMic, which essentially is a USB connected audio hub, seems quite well regarded in this space. See:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic

I had this problem when I first got my Mac too - had me baffled for quite a while! Good luck!

Reaction score
I just got my iMic a week ago and it works fine. Solved my problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.