Transferring old PC files to new imac!! Help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24,2.33Ghz IntelCore2Duo,3GB RAM,750GB HardDrive,7600GT 256MB SDRAM Graphics,Final Cut Express
Have been reading old posts on this forum and can not find an answer. Just exactly what does "Error code - 36" really mean?

I have connected them using an ethernet cable, have authorized "share" on every folder on my old PC.

This is what I keep getting: "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://---.---.-.---" could not be read or written. (Error code - 36)."

Please help, I'm trying to complete my "switch" so I can turn off the Dell.

Carleen

Reaction score
Carleen, I just switched a few days ago and used a USB External Harddrive to copy everything over. Worked flawlessly.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24,2.33Ghz IntelCore2Duo,3GB RAM,750GB HardDrive,7600GT 256MB SDRAM Graphics,Final Cut Express
Thanks for responding!! But I have questions about that.....My old Dell has USB 1 (slow), and I have a Wolverine External Harddrive which uses USB 2. I do not know very much about computers, duh, but will it still work since the USB ports are different? (I'll bet that this is a really dumb question to you guys who are geeks, but please give this Grandma a break. I'm trying really hard!!)

Is there a 12-step program for "Switchers Anonymous"???? LOL

Carleen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Thanks for responding!! But I have questions about that.....My old Dell has USB 1 (slow), and I have a Wolverine External Harddrive which uses USB 2. I do not know very much about computers, duh, but will it still work since the USB ports are different? (I'll bet that this is a really dumb question to you guys who are geeks, but please give this Grandma a break. I'm trying really hard!!)

Is there a 12-step program for "Switchers Anonymous"???? LOL

Carleen

Carleen,

It will still work, but the data transfer will just not be as fast as it is supposed to be. Also consider burning the files you want to move onto a CD/DVD.

BTW, what type of files are you trying to copy?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the usb ports on your mac should be identical to those on your pc.

the only problem you may encounter with the external hard drive is if the format is windows "NTFS". if it is you will only be able to read/copy the files from the hard drive. but you will not be able to delete the files or write new ones to the drive. obviously this will be pretty easy to test even if you don't know how to tell what file system the drive is. just try to copy a file to the drive or try to delete something on the drive from the mac.

if this is the cse, and you want to make it able to be used fully on mac and pc, we can tell you how to reformat it FAT32 which both mac OS X and windows can access fully. just let us know!

by the way, welcome to the forums!
and congrats on the new imac!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.