.Mac Mail Account Worth $99?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16GHz, 23" Cinema Display, iPod Hi-Fi, Airport Extreme/Express, iPod, iPhone 8GB
My .Mac account is due to expire within 24 hours (my 90 trial). I was wondering if it is actually worth spending $99 on. Seems as though it's not however it would be nice to have a decent base station and iDisk at my disposal anytime and anywhere.

Looking for feedback and general input. Thanks all!!

-Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I love it, but I use the service in its entirety, I syc up my address book, ical, bookmarks, etc, every night. I feel that the service is well worth it, that you should get it if the 99$ a year does not seam out of your budget. For all the .mac service gives you I think its worth the $8 or so a month (seams like a lot less when you put it in a monthly fee doesn't it?)

However, I think that the whole thing should be your decision, and if you would like to read the review I posted about .mac its in the member review forums.

Good luck in making your decision!

Reaction score
My .Mac account is due to expire within 24 hours (my 90 trial). I was wondering if it is actually worth spending $99 on. Seems as though it's not however it would be nice to have a decent base station and iDisk at my disposal anytime and anywhere.

-Scott

That is pretty much a personal decision but I fully intend to renew mine.

Reaction score
I have had it for 3 years now, never paid $99. Check eBay and watch for sales. If it came down to it, I would pay $99 though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
My trial is ending soon too and I'm still trying to decide. I do like the .mac Mail address, but that's not worth paying for. So far, I'm not really using any of the other services so it may not be for me. As has been posted, I've checked eBay and that's the place to buy to save quite a lot. So no one really has to pay the $99.00 that Apple charges. Again, it's a personal preference and if you'll actually use the services.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
If it were just for the email address, I don't think I'd pay. Like PBG4 above, I use all the services including .mac syncing of my Safari bookmarks and using it to sync my work Entourage calendar into my MBP's iCal. I also do iWeb blogging (I love being able to work offline and then publish when I've got a connection), and use Backup to keep a few folders in sync between my machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
Is it possible to upload a video file, for instance, to a .Mac account a and then post a URL, here, so it can be downloaded by the general public?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Is it possible to upload a video file, for instance, to a .Mac account a and then post a URL, here, so it can be downloaded by the general public?

Yes, there is a "public" folder within your idisk for that reason as well as the ability to make a public download page. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
Yes, there is a "public" folder within your idisk for that reason as well as the ability to make a public download page. :)

Cool, thanks.

Reaction score
I've gone 'round and 'round on this question. We have one .Mac account so that my wife can sync her Entourage calendar, contacts, etc., between the iMac and the iBook. It works great for that, but at $99 per year that's an expensive solution. It comes up for renewal in about 2 months.

I'm giving MySync a try (MySync) this week to see if that will solve the sync functions. The rest of .Mac, IMO, can be had elsewhere for much cheaper. And I'd prefer my own domain name on email, rather than the "@mac.com" (I personally don't think there's much "prestige" in any email address).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I'm giving MySync a try (MySync) this week to see if that will solve the sync functions. The rest of .Mac, IMO, can be had elsewhere for much cheaper. And I'd prefer my own domain name on email, rather than the "@mac.com" (I personally don't think there's much "prestige" in any email address).

Never heard of this before. Do please let us know how you like it. This is the primary .mac feature I use... I do use iWeb, but for a $100 savings, I can manually ftp my sites to an alternate domain :)

Reaction score
Well, I used Mysync until the license ran out and just recently bought SyncTogether -- from the same guys, it's their "new" pay to play sync program. Not bad at all, $49 one time gets you the software for up to 3 macs.

Works very well, relatively easy to set up if you're sync'g one user from one mac to another (in my case, an iMac to an iBook). You can also sync across users on one machine (i.e., my calendar and my wife's on the iMac).

For $49, it's 1/2 the price of one .Mac membership, and about $130 less than the family plan (and that's just the first year).

Definitely seems worth it, iMO.

M

MacHeadCase

I've had a .Mac account for 4 years. I don't see the day where I won't renew it either. I simply love how well everything is neatly tied in together.

Reaction score
What do you use it for? Occassionally I'll go and have a look at the .mac homepage but there's so little information on there.

M

MacHeadCase

Backups/syncing of my Address Book, Safari Bookmarks. Uploads/hosting of images, uploads/hosting of some of my GarageBand tunes, etc. I admit I don't use all the features though. And you do get some free software occasionally in your account: for example, I got samplers of each of the GarageBand Jam Packs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I used Mysync until the license ran out and just recently bought SyncTogether -- from the same guys, it's their "new" pay to play sync program. Not bad at all, $49 one time gets you the software for up to 3 macs.

This looks pretty nifty if all of your machines can talk directly to each other. From the little information I was able to gleam from their site however, it would appear this would not allow my Mini (which is at the office on an internal IP address inside of a firewall) to talk to my MacBook Pro (which does occasionally get plugged in to the same network, but generally lives on a NATed IP address behind my firewall here at home).

What do you use it for? Occassionally I'll go and have a look at the .mac homepage but there's so little information on there.

If you like using iWeb for building your sites and blogs, having a .mac account for seamless publishing is quite handy. Yeah I could export the site and then sftp the lot to my hosting company, but not all of the features would come across.

I also use my iDisk for backing up information between my machines (not just the .mac sync services, although I do use that too, but I have .mac Backup back up a few of my folders at the office to my iDisk which I can then access on the road from my cached iDisk drive on my MacBook Pro).

Is it worth $99? I think that's up to you... 95% of what .mac does can be found for a lot cheaper. However, I find the remaining 5% to be worth the extra cost...

Reaction score
Not sure about SyncTogether working remotely behind a firewall -- it does have a remote access feature, but may not work in your environment.

Basically, I view SyncTogether as doing all the synchronizing that .Mac does for a fraction of the price, and so it's worth it. The rest of .Mac can be had much cheaper elsewhere, as has been mentioned. Plus, I can't use my domain with .Mac ([email protected]).

SyncTogether for almost a month, I think it's a very good product to do sync'g of calendar, address book, mail settings, Safari, etc. Certainly worth the $49 one time fee.

Reaction score
I know this is late but I did it! I know most of you are probably doing it now or already....

I purchased a domain from godaddy.com and it is www.pictureme2.com. I created all my webpages with iweb and publish all my photos (for my client) with one push of a button .Mac. I didn't like the website names .mac would give me (http://etc...). So, I used my godaddy website name and link it to my .Mac.com. This is a great because it's easier for my friends and clients to remember. I have two email address. One from godaddy ([email protected]) and the second one [email protected].

I don't give both email address out but only to clients.

sorry if this is a double post!!

Reaction score

-Scott
I believe it is. I've had mine for over 4 years.

I have had it for 3 years now, never paid $99. Check eBay and watch for sales. If it came down to it, I would pay $99 though.
But have you been able to keep the same .Mac addy? I was under the impression that in order to renew a .Mac account, it had to be online directly with Apple.

I know this is late but I did it! I know most of you are probably doing it now or already....

I purchased a domain from godaddy.com and it is www.pictureme2.com. I created all my webpages with iweb and publish all my photos (for my client) with one push of a button .Mac. I didn't like the website names .mac would give me (http://etc...). So, I used my godaddy website name and link it to my .Mac.com. This is a great because it's easier for my friends and clients to remember. I have two email address. One from godaddy ([email protected]) and the second one [email protected].

I don't give both email address out but only to clients.
And yet you gave them out to the entire internet with this post? :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.