• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple to leave computer market?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stuff
Now I don't know if it is true, or anything. I've just heard around from some of my techy friends that watch the History Channel a lot, that Apple is leaving the Computer market to focus on iPod. I'm abstract on this so don't like, jab me with a fork if I'm totally wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Now I don't know if it is true, or anything. I've just heard around from some of my techy friends that watch the History Channel a lot, that Apple is leaving the Computer market to focus on iPod. I'm abstract on this so don't like, jab me with a fork if I'm totally wrong.

Apple has been around sense the early 80's and have just recently released a computer with an intel chip that has sold like hot cakes. Apples last quarter was the best ever. I seriously doubt this has any truth behind it.

I do NOT see that being true.. just my opinion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The change of name from "Apple Computer" to Apple Inc" may simply signal a change in the companies focus. With the iPod and now iPhone, they are not just a computer company any more. I doubt they will exit the computer business though.

If you want some real conspiracy theory fun, you can try this on for size:

Apple Computer has changed their name to Apple Inc. because they are in the final stages of purchasing Apple Corps (the Beatles record label) from EMI. This deal, for an undisclosed sum, will also buy Apple a controlling stake in EMI, one of the biggest recording labels out there. This shift will make Apple much more than a computer company and will position them as a dominant player in both the traditional and on-line music business since they will now own/run a large chunk of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The History Channel is a beacon of truth and completely factual information.
Yes, one of the key innovators of the personal computer market is going to up and give up on them.

:black:

Reaction score
The change of name from "Apple Computer" to Apple Inc" may simply signal a change in the companies focus. With the iPod and now iPhone, they are not just a computer company any more. I doubt they will exit the computer business though....

This is exactly along the lines of what Steve Jobs said during his keynote. I don't remember the exact wording, but when he announced the name change, he said it was due to the fact that Apple is no longer solely a computer company. I also, don't see them exiting the computer market anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
Perhaps they'll pursue an avenue involving pie, and boy, would that be tasty. I mean, if they can revolutionize the personal computer, how we buy and listen to music, and the future of 'smart phones', imagine what they could do with baked goods!

iPie... it's the wave of the future.

Reaction score
Me either, but if it is, I'd...Well, I don't know what I'd do exactly, I'd probably just write my own Operating System.

Agreed! But since I am unable to do that my only solution would be to go back to Linux - which I really do not want to do. Windows would definitely be out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.