Is it worth the upgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I have a PowerBook G4 1.67 15 inch with a 1 gig of ram upgrade giving me 1.5 gig. I'm thinking of upgrading to a MacBook Pro because of a few Windows apps I want to run, especially OneNote (since apparently Mac Office 2008 may not have it) I guess my question is, is it worth the upgrade? Can I use my extra battery that I have from the PowerBook G4 and the 1 gig stick I added in a MacBook Pro? Or would it be better to hold off for the next generation of MacBooks (whatever they might be called) with the Panther OS? I know these are a lot of questions but I'm really thinking of eBaying my PowerBook G4 then upgrading. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
if there are windows programs you wish to run than I think the upgrade would be worth it.

the ram is different and so is the battery so you would not be able to swap them out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
If you want to upgrade, I would wait until they atleast release Leopard by then there might be new MacBook Pro's or might not but atleast the new OS will be out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I don't see any reason to upgrade. Looks like you still have the Intel iMac, so you can use your Windows apps there.
The battery and RAM from your PB won't transfer to a MBP anyway.
With the exception of the MS Office bit, what other apps do you really feel you need Windows for? There are probably some very capable and suitable counterparts that won't even require Windows

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I don't see any reason to upgrade. Looks like you still have the Intel iMac, so you can use your Windows apps there.
The battery and RAM from your PB won't transfer to a MBP anyway.
With the exception of the MS Office bit, what other apps do you really feel you need Windows for? There are probably some very capable and suitable counterparts that won't even require Windows

The iMac Intel is at home, my wife uses it for her real estate work. I take the PBG4 from office to home and back daily. Basically I would use the Windows for MS OneNote, but at the office I access our server and also use Virtual PC to run three programs off that same server. I think what I'm going to do is just sit tight for a bit, at least until Panther is released, and then I might consider a MBPro. The perfect Mac for me would be the current MacBook but with a back-lit keyboard. A co-worker just bought one and I really like that he has OS-x on one screen (he is running a dual screen) and Windows on another.

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So here is what I did. I already had Virtual PC installed on my PowerBook G4 so I thought what the heck, I installed OneNote 2003 and it runs pretty well. It is a bit sluggish even though I have 1.5 gig of ram installed, but it is workable. So I'll be waiting till the next gen of notebooks before I upgrade and thanks for the replies to this post.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.