Streaming Audio Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2GHZ 1GB Memory
1st month complete of Mac ownership.

I am trying to stream some audio from a couple of radio stations. Both sites are owned by Clear Channel. I have Flip4Mac installed and WMV 9. Right now I have Flip4Mac handling my wmv internet links. When I try to stream the show it keeps buffering. My pc is not having a problem at at all. I am using Firefox for the Mac but I have tried Safari. Flip4Mac will start to play the stream but it appears that it keeps trying to load a file and playback comes to a halt when it reaches the buffer point. It then waits and then you hear audio again as soon as it is loaded. I tried to listen to the stream in Safari with Windows Media 9 but it never loads. Does anyone have any suggestions for listening to internet streams on their Mac? Thank you,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"17 iMac, 2Gig`s RAM.
I have been a switcher for about a year now. 98% of the use I give to my iMac is to listen and record to audio streamed over the internet. Initially, it took me a while to figure out the relationship of the Mac`s with Windows Media Player. How it was neccessary to have Flip4Mac etc.

The problem you are describing has happened to me in the past. It usually means there is something wrong with the station`s streaming. Yep, believe it or not, it can happen to both stations. And you are saying that both stations belong to Clear Channel, that is a clue. In my case, both stations were owned by the same radio group. They shared the modem they used to stream their programming. I`ve got tired of writing to their IT department explaining them the problem; of how this was not happening before,etc.,etc., to no avail. One day the problem cleared out.

You might want to try the following;

1.Change setting for Flip4Mac; Go to the applications folder, locate where Flip4Mac is.Right click it and click on "Get Info". make sure that the box f that says "open using Rosetta", or something to that effect, is clear and not checked.

2.Contact the IT department of the radio station: They might not know there are having problems with their stream. You might be the first listener that really cares about what`s happening to their internet streaming that actually has bothered and taken the time to let them know about it!

3.Take time and listen to other streams; Is the problem still present, if not, this will validate my point that is the station`s fault.

4. Check your WMP9 and QT Player preferences; In WMP9 make sure you set in "Network Settings" the "Use Default Buffering" and in QT under the "Streaming" tab the "Streaming Speed" is set to "Automatic" WMP9 Preferences Pane.png

QT Player Preferences.png

Also please post the URL of the stations you are trying to listen to. I`d like to see if I can recreate your problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.