Installed applications

Reaction score
I installed Firefox yesterday and today I want to use it but I can't find it.
Can someone explain me the installation/uninstallation process please ?

M

MacHeadCase

Could it be possible you mistook the mounted disk/.dmg file for the real application?

OP
C
Reaction score
I doubled click the .dmg file and got installed. I used it for a while closed it and today can't find it anymore. If I search in spotlight the results show the application image (.dmg) and a folder. When I go and look under Applications folder there's nothing.

M

MacHeadCase

Well, it isn't double-clicking that will install a .dmg. You have to drag and drop in the Applications folder what you see in the .dmg window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You have to drag the application from the disk image to your Applications folder to install it. Then when you eject the disk image it will still be there.
Don't just launch it from the disk image, that doesn't install anything.

M

MacHeadCase

This attachment (below) is from a .dmg file I just expanded. This highlighted item is what I have to drag and drop in the Applications folder in Macintosh HD...

Example.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
I just draged the Firefox.dmg into the Applications folder and nothin happened.

M

MacHeadCase

Look at my screenshot.

It is not the .dmg you have to drag in the Applications folder but what is inside of it once it is decompressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
how come I was able to use it ?
You were able to use it because a disk image is just that... a virtual disk. It can hold whatever a 'real' disk can. It mounts and attaches to your system just like any other disk. It has the application on it and it will run from that image, but until you actually copy the application to your HD it isn't installed on your computer's disk.
All you have to do 99% of the time to install anything is just drag and drop it from wherever you got it, to anywhere you like on your HD. It doesn't have to be in the Applications folder, but that would be the most logical place for it now, wouldn't it? :black:

Oh, and uninstall is just the opposite. Drag it to the Trash and then empty the Trash... voila, it is uninstalled.

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry of my so many questions but How do I see what's nside my .dmg file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Double-click the dmg file and it will open. From there it will show the contents.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies. I just got my macbook yesterday and I'm complete noobie in the Mac World...!!!

M

MacHeadCase

No problem!

Here is another example.

On the far right in the attached screenshot is the decompressed .dmg and the window with the circled item is what is inside this decompressed .dmg. The circled item is what needs to be dragged in the Applications folder.

example2.jpg

Reaction score
MHC has all the trick icons for her hard drives! Yea!
shine.gif

M

MacHeadCase

LOL

Oh no! CB knows too much. I have to get rid of him now!
icon11.gif

Kiddin' ya, big guy!
icon10.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.