Any issues with Refurb Macbook Pros?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 15"/2.33GHz/2Gb
I'm making the switch and I have a choice between a 15", 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 128Video, 120GB HD -or- a Refurbed 17", 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, 256Video, 160GB HD. Both MacBook Pro, price difference is 17" = an additional $250.

I know the 17" is a bigger, heavier machine, but the specs show it to be a superior laptop. I am tempted to go for it.

My biggest question: Is a refurbished product as good as a new product? I hate the thought of a buying a "second hand" computer, but if I won't be able to tell that its second hand, whats the diff, huh? Also do they look as nice? Are they scratched/worn?

So what are your refurb experiences?

Reaction score
I have never bought an apple refurb but I would go for the 17", It is a solid computer!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a refurb 15" MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz. Aside from the packaging, you couldn't tell it from new. There are no scratches or blemishes of any kind. The machine has been flawless thus far. I purchased it on 12/25, it arrived on 12/27 with standard shipping.

The warranty is the same as a new machine, so I wouldn't worry about it being a refurb. As far as I'm concerned, it's well worth the money.

The other interesting thing was that it was supposed to have 512MB, but it actually came with 1GB in a single module, so it will be a breeze to upgrade to 2GB if I should ever choose to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
In November I went for the refurb laptop because of cost and my previously excellent experience with my G4 tower refurb. Most responses I've seen regarding refurbs suggest it is usually a good experience. But occasionally...

My 'new to me' MacBook Pro 15 CD, was a bit of a mess. First I took it into the Apple store because the video would occasionally flicker. When I got it back home I realized the LCD had blotches where pixels were off. I took it back for a LCD replacement. Just after getting signed out, I tried to open it at the store counter and the latches wouldn't disengage. Third time seems to have been the charm. So far it is operating fine. It should, they replaced most of the working parts that make a computer.

You may get some slight cosmetic damage, but generally refurbs look very good. I noticed a couple of small nics on my laptop. My tower was perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
When my 17"er arrived, I wouldn't have been able to tell it from a new machine. It's an amazing piece of work. Hard to believe it's "used."

As far as making the switch goes, Search the forums and all of your questions will be answered. Heck, you wouldn't even have to register, here, to find "everything you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask."

Good Luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.