New Mac user - I'm clueless !

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm probably going to be calling in here with lots of daft questions but my first one is how do you change the name of a file, I tried searching in spotlight but nothing came up which helped, can you point me in the right direction please ?

Ta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Click the icon, then click on the name of the file. Type in the name.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thankyou, simple when you know how lol.

It is, but I really wish Apple would include "Rename" in the context menu when right-clicking a file or a folder. I can tell you I've stared at my screen blankly on a few occasions when I needed to rename something, so you're not alone.

You can also click on a file or folder and hit Return, on Windows that would open the file/folder, but on Mac is prompts to rename.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
zootop, welcome to Mac Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Click on an icon and press return.

Reaction score
It is, but I really wish Apple would include "Rename" in the context menu when right-clicking a file or a folder. I can tell you I've stared at my screen blankly on a few occasions when I needed to rename something, so you're not alone.

While it's certainly not as easy as just the two-click method, you can bring up the context menu, choose "Get Info," and change the file name in the dialog box that opens up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.