Desktop icons keep rearranging position

Reaction score
I don't keep that many icons on my desktop but the few I have keep rearranging themselves every time I start the computer. Is there a way to "lock" them in position so this doesn't happen anymore? Running a Powermac G4, Quicksilver.

Reaction score
I don't keep that many icons on my desktop but the few I have keep rearranging themselves every time I start the computer. Is there a way to "lock" them in position so this doesn't happen anymore? Running a Powermac G4, Quicksilver.

G'day PapaNoHair,

You need to either choose "Snap to Grid" (which ensures icons line up both horizontally and vertically, as if they were in a grid) or "View by Name" (etc) and hope for the best when it sorts everything on your Desktop by whatever criterion you've specified.

To change these settings, get to the desktop (so it says "Finder" on the top left of the menubar), then choose "Show View Options" from the "View" menu.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
or do a apple command j to bring that same window as Pulse-8 suggested.

OP
PapaNoHair
Reaction score
G'day PapaNoHair......To change these settings, get to the desktop (so it says "Finder" on the top left of the menubar), then choose "Show View Options" from the "View" menu.

Thanks to both you and RMAN!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.