Help deciding if Mac is right for me

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been a Windows user for many years but I have been thinking of getting a Mac Book Pro but cant decide if its for me or not. Firstly I have a lot of software what runs on Windows, and for example Anti-Virus programs what are not compatible with Mac.

Also for example I use a XBox 360 and I get on XBox Live using Windows ICS via a ethernet cable from pc to 360. Does the Mac OSX have anything similar where I can share connections for my internet via a ethernet cable similar to ICS for Windows?

Also I am from the UK so the Mac Book Pro prices are quite high, are they really worth the extra money for the Mac Book Pro?.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For starters, you don't have to worry about your anti-virus software not working on the Mac. Why, you ask? Because you don't need it. Simple as that. Same goes for spyware and adware programs.

As for your Xbox Live question, I'm no Mac expert, but from my experience, it seems as though it would be no problem to setup such a system. I was looking through the Network preferences and it has an option for a Host-Guest connection. The Mac essentially passes the connection through to the device that needs it, which is exactly what you need for Live.

What other sort of Windows programs do you have that you think might not work on a Mac? I'm sure we can recommend some Mac alternatives. Or worst case scenario, you have to run Windows side-by-side with Mac OS for the one or two Windows programs that you absolutely need.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi Guys,

I have been a Windows user for many years but I have been thinking of getting a Mac Book Pro but cant decide if its for me or not. Firstly I have a lot of software what runs on Windows, and for example Anti-Virus programs what are not compatible with Mac.

Also for example I use a XBox 360 and I get on XBox Live using Windows ICS via a ethernet cable from pc to 360. Does the Mac OSX have anything similar where I can share connections for my internet via a ethernet cable similar to ICS for Windows?

Also I am from the UK so the Mac Book Pro prices are quite high, are they really worth the extra money for the Mac Book Pro?.

Any help would be appreciated.

I guess my question is what attracts you to the Mac? You didn't really mention what it was about your Windows machines that makes you think a Mac would be more suitable.

I agree with Kash that Anti-Virus and other software of its ilk are mostly crutches for Windows machines. At this point, there has yet to be a Mac-specific virus in the wild.

As far as your XBOX goes, I'd imagine that at a hardware level there would not be a problem - my concern is whether ICS will work with a Mac. As I recall, ICS is just a software version of NAT, although I'm not sure that the Mac has any such facility for sharing Internet connections in that fashion. Is there any reason you wouldn't simply use a hardware router for this purpose? Is it because you're using dial-up? If so, be aware that the MacBook Pro does not come standard with a modem, so you'd have to add that on.

So, thus far, I don't see why a Mac wouldn't work for you given that you could use a router instead of ICS, but I'd like to hear what else you use your computer for and/or why it is that you're thinking Mac. There is a bit of a learning curve moving over, so it's not something you'd want to do on just a whim.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If what you have currently works for you and does what you need it to, then no you don't need a Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Just from what people have said really saying moving over from Windows to Mac OSX is much better and they would not move back.

I have also heard it runs a lot quicker than Windows is that true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS X is no faster or slower than Windows (except to start up - OS X is much faster), but much more efficient so that your computer won't get bogged down with rubbish it accumulates, as with Windows. When you install a program with Windows, it spews files all over the machine, whereas 95% of Mac programs are nothing more than a single program with a single icon.

OS X is much more up to date, easier to use, more attractive and more intuative than Windows, that's for sure.

Have you looked on the Apple site? There are lots of video demonstrations showing you the features of OS X.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, just an update, I have been deciding what to do and I think I am going to enter into the world of Apple. I have asked a few people at work and they all reccomend Macs so I am going to go for one. Also what should I go for I was going to either choose a ordinary Mac Book and add some extras to it eg more ram etc or just go for the 15" Mac Book Pro. Also is it wise to install a virus program on Mac OSX if so are their any what are light on system resources?

Any help on making a decision would be appreciated thanks :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1gig of RAM is recommended.

Anti-virus programs are designed so that you won't pass on a virus to a Windows user accidently. Viruses are just Windows programs, so they won't run on the Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks Alexis,

As I am in the UK to buy from Apple Store the 15" 2.33Ghz Mac Book Pro is £1,699.00 which is quite a lot of cash. Thats why I was have being tempted to get a normal Mac Book and upgrade it with extra memory and bigger hard drive which would come out cheaper than Mac Book Pro.

Just 13" screen puts me off a bit as I have been used to 15" or more since I have been using computers so could take a bit of getting used to.

I have been saving some money, for a while but someone mentioed to me that its a lot cheaper to buy in USA so if I was to go there for a holiday perhaps this year could bring back a Mac Book Pro with me ;).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Alexis,

As I am in the UK to buy from Apple Store the 15" 2.33Ghz Mac Book Pro is £1,699.00 which is quite a lot of cash. Thats why I was have being tempted to get a normal Mac Book and upgrade it with extra memory and bigger hard drive which would come out cheaper than Mac Book Pro.

Just 13" screen puts me off a bit as I have been used to 15" or more since I have been using computers so could take a bit of getting used to.

I have been saving some money, for a while but someone mentioed to me that its a lot cheaper to buy in USA so if I was to go there for a holiday perhaps this year could bring back a Mac Book Pro with me ;).

Just a couple of things to keep in mind. First, memory is user-upgradeable and does not void you warranty. You can easily find memory far cheaper (usually by half) from another vendor. I would recommend you get your notebook with the least amount of memory possible.

Secondly, any machine you purchase in the USA would have a 110V Power Adapter, so you'd need to get some sort of converter. As I understand it, the standard power supply can be used with different tips/cords for different types of outlets, but that would be an additional expense.

Also, I'm not sure how it works with customs in the UK, but any computer purchase will be subject to sales tax here and you might have to pay VAT in the UK depending on how you declare the machine with Customs (if there is a UK equivalent).

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks cwa107,

Is the memory what are in Mac Book Pro's different to normal laptops?

Also thats good to hear that it does not void your warranty, as thats what I was worried about. I am looking at the 2.33, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD model when I eventually get it. Is it possible to upgrade the hard drive at a future date without voiding the warranty do you know?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
What do you intend to do with it? You'd be surprised how much the Macbook can handle and may find the MBP is more than you need. With regards to the screen I'd say it is amazing, I never feel cramped by its size and it makes it highly portable.

OP
A
Reaction score
What do you intend to do with it? You'd be surprised how much the Macbook can handle and may find the MBP is more than you need. With regards to the screen I'd say it is amazing, I never feel cramped by its size and it makes it highly portable.

Well, I am looking for something portable too, but Mac Book Pro 15" I feel is best of both worlds.

I will just be web browsing, writing documents, playing the occasional game but I have a 360 for gaming. The only real thing what is stopping me taking a look at the standard Mac Books is the screen size.

Is it best to go for the glossy display or non glossy?, although you dont get a choice as its just glossy with the Mac Book ?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I am looking for something portable too, but Mac Book Pro 15" I feel is best of both worlds.

I will just be web browsing, writing documents, playing the occasional game but I have a 360 for gaming. The only real thing what is stopping me taking a look at the standard Mac Books is the screen size.

Is it best to go for the glossy display or non glossy?, although you dont get a choice as its just glossy with the Mac Book ?

Thanks

I couldn't tell you the memory spec off the top of my head, but bare in mind that Macs are PCs from a hardware standpoint. So, they use all the same standard components.

You can not change the hard drive without voiding the warranty (or so I've been told).

Glossy vs. Matte is strictly a matter of preference. If you're going to watch a lot of movies, the glossy is for you. However, if you're going to use the laptop in brightly lit areas frequently (i.e. in the sunlight), you can have some issues with glare.

Personally, I prefer the glossy screen, but there are some who can't tolerate the glare.

OP
A
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you the memory spec off the top of my head, but bare in mind that Macs are PCs from a hardware standpoint. So, they use all the same standard components.

You can not change the hard drive without voiding the warranty (or so I've been told).

Glossy vs. Matte is strictly a matter of preference. If you're going to watch a lot of movies, the glossy is for you. However, if you're going to use the laptop in brightly lit areas frequently (i.e. in the sunlight), you can have some issues with glare.

Personally, I prefer the glossy screen, but there are some who can't tolerate the glare.

I am looking at going for the Mac Book and upgrading a couple of things eg RAM to 2GB and hard drive to 160GB. I am wondering obviously going down to a 13" screen will be a bit strange after being used to 15" for so long. What would people reccomend I go for? :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am looking at going for the Mac Book and upgrading a couple of things eg RAM to 2GB and hard drive to 160GB. I am wondering obviously going down to a 13" screen will be a bit strange after being used to 15" for so long. What would people reccomend I go for? :)

Remember, it's a widescreen - so it's a little different than what you might be used to. It's not that there's more screen space per se, but it's arranged in what I consider to be a more usable fashion.

OP
A
Reaction score
Remember, it's a widescreen - so it's a little different than what you might be used to. It's not that there's more screen space per se, but it's arranged in what I consider to be a more usable fashion.

Do you find your Mac Book Pro fast enough with 1GB Ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Thanks
I am looking at going for the Mac Book and upgrading a couple of things eg RAM to 2GB and hard drive to 160GB. I am wondering obviously going down to a 13" screen will be a bit strange after being used to 15" for so long. What would people reccomend I go for?

From what you plan to use it for I'd say both can do the job more than adequately. For me I haven't had a single problem with the glossy screen or the size - but these are the things that people differ on. While it may not be an issue for me to change the angle of the screen due to slight glare it can be the ultimate annoyance for others.

My suggestion is to get yourself down to an Apple store, wait patiently and then spend as long as you like with both machines. Decide what you want to know about each before you go - Weight, screen size, glossy/matte. This way you can decide what you like or dislike about it. Hope this helps, let me know what you end up getting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
since you have a lot of windows software, personally i would wait until os leopard came out so you can install all of your windows programs and have the ease of mac all in one computer. have the best of both os in other words.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.