Bonjour Setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 1.83/1.5gRam/120gHD
I posted this under applications as well - but thought it might get viewed more here.....

I loaded the bonjour app for windows on my PC which is on the same Linksys WRTG router wirless network that I have hooked my new Mac Mini 1.8 with no problem. I am probably misunderstanding what Bonjour will do, but I installed the Windows app and it is just an ico on the IE browser. If I click it, it only brings me to a web page on Apple re: Bonjour, so that's just a shortcut.

I thought this would allow me to make a "network" between my Mac and PC. I am sure the answer is someting completely obvious and I'm being stupid, but please give me an an idea of what I am doing wrong.

PS - this is my network so far: MacMini, 2.0GHz Compaq tower, 500mhz Compaq laptop and a generic small form factor.
Dennis

Reaction score
Do you want to be able to share files between the mini and the windows box (the compaq)?

If so, go into system preferences, click on sharing and then check the box that says windows sharing.

Reaction score
As I just have switched myself I am not familiar with the Bonjour app however I do know that I can map any of my shared windows drives from my Mac with out having to add any apps. From finder I just Go > Connect to servers then enter in the ip of the box that has the share that I want. IE smb://192.168.0.100

What I have so far been unable to get done is have it reconnect to the share after sleep or reboot. I am sure there must be a way.

And if you have VNC installed on the windows box you can control it using the Chicken of VNC client for mac. As I understand it the server side of VNC is built into the Mac OS X

And if that was not enough M$ makes a RDP client for Mac so you can use RDP or Terminal services with your mac

Cheers Brad

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 1.83/1.5gRam/120gHD
Ok - I went the windows network worgroup route

I went back to my windows machine (and the hodgepodge network I tried to string toegether with two XP Pro and 1 XP home machine).

I re-ran the network wizard and created a new network name - restarted the PC and VOILA, the mac was able to find the netowrk okay.

I click on the icons, provided a password and now I am sharing folders.

I have to say one thing, my IT Admin friend was never able to mix the Pro and Home versions of XP into a folder sharing network - and certainly not this easy.

I am also considering Network Magic (which the 4.0 beta now supports MAC) to solve the Pro/Home debacle I have going on. Funny that I need a software solution to get the PCs to talk to each other but the MAC has no problem.

Anyway - thanks for all your help so far.... I have a long way to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.