Considering Switching Teams...Need some Input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
Hi Gang,

I went to the Apple Store here in the Dallas area and was in heaven. I haven't touched an Apple Computer (and pretty much steered clear of any opportunity) since the mid/late 80s back in the days of the IIE and IIC. I was pretty much forced to abandon Apple and go to Microsoft thanks to my middle school years. Since that time i've used Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP and am very comfortable with it. Afterall, its a windows world at my job for better or worse. But back to the Apple Store, I got to play with a Macbook Pro and fell in love with it. I don't understand the difference between the Pro and the regular MacBook other than maybe the video card whats so different? Why are the Macs apparently more expensive than comprable powered PCs? I would imagine its the quality of the device but just curious.

Irregardless, I will be buying a Macbook or Macbook Pro once my tax refund comes in. I simply refuse to switch to M$ Vista, I have finally become fed up with the unreliability and constant spyware/viruses. Since I am switching from XP to Mac OSX are there any tips I need to be aware of? One of my concerns is my Dell AIO 962 Printer which is networked. Can OSX support this? Also, apparently Leopard is some new OS, will I get a free upgrade to it?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to wrap my head around all this. It does feel nice to be going back to where I learned all about computers. How the hardware has changed! :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
1) The only difference between the pro and the non pro macbooks are the graphics, card, firewire 800, and an express card slot, and a few little things like back lit keyboard, and bigger screen.

2) I can't confirm or deny your printer working with Mac OSX, but I have yet give my mac a printer it could not print to.

3) Leopard is not something you will get a free upgrade too, unless you purchase your computer with in 30 days of its release (you have to pay a very small fee for it any way if this is the case), but mac operating systems are not as expensive as Microsoft's, Mac upgrades their operating system on average of once every 1.5 years, but instead of it being $450 like Microsoft's, its normally about $129, and $79 for students.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For starters, congrats on finally using an Apple after being "away" for so long.

As for the price complaint, Apple computers have always been generally marked up a bit than their PC counterparts, however, you will find that a PC that has the same specifications as a Mac will cost only slightly less. The small premium you pay can be considered to cover the solid build quality. Also, when you factor in time/productivity lost due to viruses/spyware/adware and eccentricities inherent in Windows, you'll find the investment well worth it.

There are a few differences between the Macbook and the Macbook Pro. The former has a smaller screen size and integrated graphics and is of a plastic construction while the latter is made of solid aluminum, has a larger screen, and has a dedicated video card. Granted, I can understand your confusion as the rest of the specs are pretty similar in performance. Which one you get really depends on your needs.

I don't have a definitive answer for your Dell printer. I know that there's a way to setup a networked printer via Postscript, but I'll wait to see if somebody else has a better answer before I confuse you.

And as an endnote, I would suggest checking out the recommended software threads in the Switcher Hangout. Some of these can be quite useful. Another suggestion would be getting a copy of Mac OS X Tiger: Missing Manual. It's got a ton of useful information for new users of Macs.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I do not believe they are more expensive. From all the research I did, when you put the same processor and video Ram into a PC, the PC is almost always more expensive. These are the 2 areas where PC manufacturers seem to cut corners and add-in other less expensive options to entice you to buy their products. And these are the 2 areas that will prolong the lifespan of a computer.

Just browse Circuit City, Best Buy, or any others and see if you can find a windows laptop for $1250 with a 2.0 Ghz Core2Duo processor in it. They are not there.
It seems to me the PC manufacturers are skimping on the real hardware side of things that will be impossible or too expensive to upgrade later for the software side and add-ons they give you for that immediate gratification.

See my post here for a Mac and Dell price comparison.

OP
jprez1980
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
Wow, fast responses!

Kash: Feels good to be back, just have to relearn everything =)

bobtomay: Good read, looks like I was wrong with my assumption on the price difference. I don't know what kind of PC notebook I came across at Fry's but it was pretty cheap and was supposedly a close match to the MacBook Pro. It wasn't a name brand I can tell you that.

Ok, so now I have more questions...I know that Macs are not nearly as vulnerable to adware, spyware, viruses etc. But...is there not an anti-virus program for these machines or is it just not needed? After poking around Apple.com I was totally unaware that you can use Parallels and run Windows in Mac OSX. That is just awesome! This way I can still use my Dell AIO962 if I can't get it to work in OSX. Lastly, this may be an odd question, I'd like to use my personal laptop for work, but as such they have to install a corporate image of Windows XP Pro (I have no idea what differs in the corporate image they use) do you know if this image would work in/under Parallels? I'm not thrilled about having that put on my machine but I can't seem to find a Mac Cisco VPN alternative and I have to have that to connect at work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are at least a couple of anti-virus programs, but they are not really needed. They are more to help prevent you from passing a virus you may get in e-mail for example to your windows friends.

Not sure about your corporate copy of XP Pro. If it is a standard XP Pro with SP2 and just a corporate license, think it would work. Haven't been in IT since before XP, so others may know more about this.

I went to the Dallas Apple store last month, they saw me coming, walked out with the 20" iMac for the kid and a MBP for me. My first Mac's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
How exactly does your company provide the image? Does it give you a disc or a single ISO file? Or do they take the computer and make the transfer?

If it's a disc or an ISO file, then you shouldn't have any trouble installing it via Parallels. All you would have to do is start the Install OS wizard and after a few steps, you pop in your CD and watch the installation do its thing.

Worst case scenario, you have to use Boot Camp. Unlike Parallels, you have to install Windows on a separate partition which you have to boot into. So that means no side-by-side operating systems, and to use one or the other, you have to restart your computer. It sucks (which is why I replaced it with Parallels) but at least it's free :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
JPrez1980,
As far as the cisco VPN, Cisco does have a Mac client. You have to have a login to there website and have gone through the non-export agreement process. These days you may need a cisco service contract to get that far in the downloads. In any event, it does exist and works great. I am in IT and my company is all windows. rather then lugging a windows laptop around I tap into the network with the Cisco VPN client and manage servers and network gear with the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client for Mac.

I can always provide you a copy of the client if you can't get a hold of it as long as you live in the US so I don't violate there export agreement.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Wow, fast responses!

Kash: Feels good to be back, just have to relearn everything =)

bobtomay: Good read, looks like I was wrong with my assumption on the price difference. I don't know what kind of PC notebook I came across at Fry's but it was pretty cheap and was supposedly a close match to the MacBook Pro. It wasn't a name brand I can tell you that.

Ok, so now I have more questions...I know that Macs are not nearly as vulnerable to adware, spyware, viruses etc. But...is there not an anti-virus program for these machines or is it just not needed? After poking around Apple.com I was totally unaware that you can use Parallels and run Windows in Mac OSX. That is just awesome! This way I can still use my Dell AIO962 if I can't get it to work in OSX. Lastly, this may be an odd question, I'd like to use my personal laptop for work, but as such they have to install a corporate image of Windows XP Pro (I have no idea what differs in the corporate image they use) do you know if this image would work in/under Parallels? I'm not thrilled about having that put on my machine but I can't seem to find a Mac Cisco VPN alternative and I have to have that to connect at work.

Check with Dell to see if they have an OS X driver for your printer. Also, since Dell's printers are rebadged Lexmark printers, if you can determine the corresponding Lexmark model number, you may be able to find an OS X driver from them.

Otherwise, you're pretty much limited to using one of the generic drivers from the CUPS driver distribution included with OS X which may or may not provide a driver that is compatible with your AIO.

As far as your corporate image goes, I do work in IT and administer a large corporate network. We use Ghost to image our machines and each image is model-specific. Regardless of whether they have a generic image to be used for a VM, it would be a violation of our license agreement with MS to install such an image on a non-company owned piece of equipment. Your company's license agreements may be different - and if so, they may have a corporate edition of the XP install CD that uses a volume license/key you can use. Check with your IT folks, but don't be surprised if they look at you like you're nuts.

Sometimes Microsoft (depending on their relationship with your company) will sponsor a "Home Use Program" that will sell you copies of their products at extremely low prices that ride on top of your corporate licensing. Typically the cost is around $20 per disc, but you must discontinue your usage if you cease employment with the company. Check with your procurement department to see if they have something similar.

Also, you may not be aware that Apple supplies a free program called Bootcamp that allows you to dual-boot your Mac with Windows and OS X. Obviously this doesn't run within your OS X session, but is a complete and full install of Windows on your Mac that includes model-specific Windows drivers. In this way, your Mac can have a dual personality as both a PC and a Mac. Of course, you will need a retail copy of XP in order to do such an install.

Anyway, good luck with your switch and be sure to check back in with any other questions you might have. There are also a number of excellent existing threads that might help you with your questions - so don't be shy with the search feature - it's amazing what you can find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
As for VPN, I wasn't able to procure a Mac tool that worked, so I've found an alternate solution that I find much preferable... I simply run our Nortel VPN client inside of Parallels (running Parallels in bridged networking mode) and then I have access to my company's network from inside the Windows environment, and can access anything (including stuff normally blocked through the corporate firewall such as World of Warcraft and Newsgroups) on the Mac side of things.

Granted my MBP is not my primary work machine (I have a Mac Mini on my desk), and this 'solution' would be a bit of an **** if it was, but it's an option to consider.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.