I go the new mbp Font?

Reaction score
Ok, I just got my mbp. Pretty cool computer. My question has to do with the fonts, for example in email and Safari. The only resolution that looks good is the 1440X900 except I can hardly read anything. I tried upping the font in system preferences and also in mail settings, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible to change the text size when emails show up without lowering the resolution?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok, I just got my mbp. Pretty cool computer. My question has to do with the fonts, for example in email and Safari. The only resolution that looks good is the 1440X900 except I can hardly read anything. I tried upping the font in system preferences and also in mail settings, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is it possible to change the text size when emails show up without lowering the resolution?

Unfortunately, there's no way to scale the font size for every font currently in OS X. You can adjust some fonts by using the View -> Show View Options menu in Finder and adjusting the font size. Font settings in individual programs will need to be set within each application.

The only way to universally scale the font size is to adjust the resolution, but as you've noted, LCD displays have a native resolution that they are designed to run at. When you go outside of the native resolution, you lose some sharpness and the aspect ratios are thrown off when you have a widescreen.

Keep in mind that it can take some time for your brain to adjust to a new screen resolution. I work as a network admin and frequently have to adjust users' screen resolution to 1024x768 from 800x600 because most applications are now optimized for higher resolutions. Inevitably, most people complain when I do this of headaches and not being able to read the screen. Generally, I'll check back in with them after looking at it for a few days and they don't even notice it anymore. It's just an adjustment that you have to make - kind of like getting a new pair of glasses.

I hope the same holds true for you. I know how you feel as I once had a Dell Inspiron 8200 with the high-end UltraSharp display. That display was (get this!) 1600x1200 on a 15" screen. So, the font sizes were horribly small - and as with OS X, you can't universally resize fonts in all applications in Windows. It took weeks to get used to that and even still, I found it uncomfortable long after the initial adjustment period. But it sure was nice when I needed to fit a lot of stuff on the screen at once!

Good luck and I hope you're able to make the adjustment. Unfortunately, small font sizes are a reality of high-resolution displays.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help man. I read somewhere on here about a program to speed up the tracking on the touchpad. Even on max it is way to slow for me. Thanks again

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for the help man. I read somewhere on here about a program to speed up the tracking on the touchpad. Even on max it is way to slow for me. Thanks again

I don't know of any programs that speed up the trackpad, but SteerMouse does a great job of speeding up an external mouse. Hopefully someone else can chime in with a suggestion.

FWIW, I have mine turned up all the way too - I wish it could go a little bit faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have the trackpad turned up to about a notch below the fastest, and it feels just perfect. Though of course, I have a regular Macbook, so I don't have to move my pointer as far as you would have to on the larger screens of the Pro editions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Give MouseZoom a try. Works great for me so far, although I don't have any experience with it on a touchpad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.