• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie Audio problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to Mac. Imported my first video into iMovie from my mini-DV camcorder using Firewire 400 and my macbook pro 2.16 GHz with 1G RAM. Importing seemed to go smoothing but as the video was importing I could hear audio drops and distortion and "skips".

I thought it might only be happening during the importing process but I hear the same audio problems and the occasional video skip during iMovie playback. I do NOT hear the problems when I play back the original tape on the camcorder.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mitch

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. I switched the camera to 16 bit but the problem is just as bad. Article you referenced mentions sync problems with 12-bit audo after sending to quicktime or iDVD. My audio hiccups are occuring during importing to iMovie.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I'm searching myself of course but not sure the best search terms to use.

Thanks,
Mitch

Reaction score
Audio issues within iMovie

I am having the same issues. My video feed in from the camcorder (at 16-bit) had not only perfect audio on the tape...but also perfect playback within iMovie. After several hours...however...of working on the large iMovie project (about 60 Gig)...the audio hiccups started. I'm extremely frustrated. My project needs to be completed within in a week. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
M
Reaction score
16 bit audio problem

I dont know much about this except that you have to RECORD with 16 bit audio.

If it was recorded with a different setting, I dont know of a way to use it in imovie without the problems noted above.

Note though, my knowledge of this stuff is very limited.

Reaction score
iMovie audio skipping

I am having the same issues. My video feed in from the camcorder (at 16-bit) had not only perfect audio on the tape...but also perfect playback within iMovie. After several hours...however...of working on the large iMovie project (about 60 Gig)...the audio hiccups started. I'm extremely frustrated. My project needs to be completed within in a week. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having this same exact problem, and apparently not the only one (after extensive internet search). Yet no one seems to have a solution. The Apple folks really need to get on this situation!

W

OP
M
Reaction score
Is your audio RECORDED in 16 bit? I made that change and havent seen any problems since. I dont work with video all that intensely though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
For the 32kHz/12-bit issue all roads seem to lead to conversion of the audio. For FC it looks like a project maybe able to be set to that format, but that is only good if all of the audio is that format.

Have any of you looked at ways to export the audio to the right format, and bring it back in?

You should also confirm this is the possible problem. Open the .DV file with QuickTime and do a command-I on the content to see what it thinks the audio setting is. If you have QT Pro, then you can export that audio right from there.

What I'd try is to import the file from the camera, then immediately export as the same video type but with the audio settings changed. Then import that file into your project. Or just export the audio and bring that back in.

Reaction score
How about:
After 1.5 hours in my iMovie project the -
1. clip iCons turn blank
2. audio playback goes silent (headphone out from the iMac)

12 vs. 16 bit? (I'll check)
Project more than 20 minutes? (That wasn't part of the Mac advertising)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.