finder help

Reaction score
Hey guys,

When I'm looking in a folder in Finder, is there a way to sort files (by date last modified, size, name, etc)?

Thanks,
Dan

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
when looking at icon view, right click in the background and select "show view options". here you can select how to sort.

when using list view, you can click on the bars at the top of the window to sort up or down by any column.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
On the top menu go to View--Arrange By--> and then it has a list of choices.

Hope that helps :)

OP
D
Reaction score
my "Arrange By" option is always greyed out (inactive)

any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Make sure you clicked in the Folder's window 1st and then try the view--arrange by--->

When you click outside of the window the option is inactive...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, arrange by will only be active on the icon view. when in list, you need to use the 'title' bars in he window rather than the "arrange by" option.

OP
D
Reaction score
yeah, arrange by will only be active on the icon view. when in list, you need to use the 'title' bars in he window rather than the "arrange by" option.

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by "title" bars. Sorry, i'm a noob =(

Also, does it seem kind stupid to not be able to arrange when viewing as a list?

Thanks again,
Dan

Reaction score
When viewing as a list you have the little Bars at the top of the list (Name, Date Modified, Size, Kind), similar to Artist, Album, Rating etc. in iTunes, if you've ever used iTunes+iPod.

OP
D
Reaction score
OH, in LIST mode. I'm dumb...

Is there any way to do it in column mode too?

Reaction score
no, at this point column mode arranges stuff alphabetically only. maybe in the new finder 10.5 we'll see some proper options. The finder is Mac OS X's "weak point" if you want to name one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.