20" with external monitor

M

mike187fs

Hi all, I have searched but can not really find a straight answer to the following:

Would there be any reason that I would want a 24" iMac rather then a 20" with and external 20" monitor ? The 20 + 20 would be less $ and could be spent in two seperate times.

I noticed the video card in the 24" is better but better is a fairly generic term, can some one please tell me what activities would make me wish I had the better video card? Is there a certain limit that the default 20" card would not handle? For example can it only drive a certain size external monitor, if so where would the problems be (at what size) can the 20" drive a 32 " lcd ?

Any help would be great, I am about to bail on the windows world but need help before I order my new iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What do you plan on using your computer for?
Would you need a dual display setup?

The only time VRAM really matters is if you are doing intense 3D work or playing in-depth 3D games. Otherwise there really is little to no advantage in getting the other graphics card.

OP
M

mike187fs

I would only upgrade to the dual monitor in the future for extra screen real estate or more likely to play back movie to an audience.

I only plan to use the iMac for photoshop, creating basic home movies.

Is there a special size where the external monitor would require more ram?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
http://www.apple.com/imac/graphics.html

That should answer most of your questions. Have the X1600, but with 256MB instead of 128MB in my MBP. It will power my 55" 720p TV and the built-in monitor just fine as far as resolution goes. The 128MB instead of 256 definitely will affect your frame rate in any 3d games you may play.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Is there a special size where the external monitor would require more ram?

There is no size issue related to needing more ram.

The issue is whether the video card will support the resolution of both monitors (which has nothing to do with the size). The lesser video card will support your 20" iMac screen and probably any TV resolution. You will get into trouble when you hit 30" and above LCD monitors (not LCD TV's) as most of them require specific capability graphic cards.

VRAM (video ram) needs - see D3v1L80Y's post above

Reaction score
I had the same idea as you instead of getting the 24" imac... But I decided to save my money and get the 24"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.