• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Good PDA?

Reaction score
hello, im new to these forums. im looking to get my girlfriend a PDA, but im not sure which one to get. i know nothing of MACs (im in the IT field and work only with PCs) so i dont know which would be the best for her system (i dont know which model it is, but its the new one with the intel chip). i would assume just buy her an iphone, but i dont want to wait until june, dont want to spend $600, and cingular sucks it. im looking to spend around $250 or less.

tia,
sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
Palm OS really seems to work the best with OS X. And if you pick up the program The Missing Sync, you will be even better off, it's pretty much a must have app for PDAs! http://www.markspace.com/

I have a Palm T|X and it does everything I need it to do (and some fun stuff too). Plus Palm OS feels more Mac-like. If you don't need a smartphone, I find this unit to be robust.

The Palm Tungsten e2 is a $100 bucks cheaper and drops the integrated wifi and some cpu power, but it's a nice simple PDA that still does some video and music.

Palm plays nicest with OS X in my experience.

...though I have heard some rumors that Palm's future in PDAs was questionable, since smartphones are so cheap now with contract and abundant I think they are running dedicated PDAs out of the market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
...though I have heard some rumors that Palm's future in PDAs was questionable, since smartphones are so cheap now with contract and abundant I think they are running dedicated PDAs out of the market.

The upside is that Palm is right there in the thick of it with their Treo line of smart phones. I have a 700P and love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 Powerbook, 1.33/1g/80g
treo 650 here. I agree, PALM is the only OS that I've found to mesh well with the mac OS.

If she's a verizon/sprint user you can find her a nice 700p, if she's on the GSM network she'll have to go with a 650 (which you can find on ebay for around $220.00 or so)

I'm praying they release a 750p GSM for us t-mobile users :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.