noob help

Reaction score
Hey guys

im looking at switching from windows to apple. its main use would be photo processing. from a brief google search i understand the photoshop CS 2 does not run as quick with a apple as it does with a windows based machine is this still the case or has it been rectified by adobe?

also im looking at getting the standard 17" 2ghz imac with 2 gigs of ram how well would this run photoshop ??

also would it be compatable with my current wireless network??

Thanks

Dom
www.modernpics.co.uk

Reaction score
PS-CS2 is not coded as a universal binary, and therefore is not specifically desiged to take advantage of the Intel CD/C2D chipset. It does run well under the Rosetta emulation that is default for non-UB applications under OS-X on Intel, but is not as peppy as it could be.

However, CS3 is in development, with beta downloads available, and is written to be a universal binary, optimized to work under the Intel/OS-X environment. I have been running it on my MBP for a couple of weeks, and it is much more responsive and nicer than CS2 on my high-powered Windows PC is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
it will connect wirelessly just fine, the adobe thing is a bit tougher though...

adobe has not released a version for the mac os x on the intel chipset yet so until that happens, when you are running adobe in os x with an intel the ppc chipset needs to be emulated through a program called rosetta(it runs in the backround)

i dont know how well it would run under rosetta but i do know that it would run better under bootcamp or on a newer powerpc chipset. this is only until adobde releases a universal binary.

OP
Z
Reaction score
has there been a release date confermed for cs3??

as i kinda need to up grade my computer before April.

this is probably a stupid question but how much slower is it (as there any comparisons any where or examples of render times???)

what is bootcamp?

cheers
Dom

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
has there been a release date confermed for cs3??

as i kinda need to up grade my computer before April.

this is probably a stupid question but how much slower is it (as there any comparisons any where or examples of render times???)

what is bootcamp?

cheers
Dom

I can't answer your question as it relates specifically to Photoshop as I don't own it, but in general, emulated applications run pretty well. MS Office is another example of a PowerPC app that runs under emulation/Rosetta. For the most part, I don't see any significant wait times when doing routine tasks. It's really quite remarkable.

Bootcamp is a beta application from Apple that allows you to install Windows to a partition on your system drive or a second hard disk so that you can boot your Mac as a Windows machine and take advantage of its native hardware. The other option is to use Parallels Workstation which allows you to install Windows on a "virtual" machine that can run at the same time as the native Mac OS X. It still runs at the full speed of a normal Windows machine (thanks to the Intel processor in newer Macs), but you can't run games or other programs that need specific hardware functions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
The rumored release will be June. I know people who downloaded CS3 beta and love it on the new intel chipset, I have an older MAC so do not need to worry about that.

If you do own Photoshop CS2, you can get the CS3 beta and run it until the release date (I cannot remember what the expiration of the beta test is but it seems to be in line with the rumored release). The same people running CS2 on their new MACs do not complain about the performance.

The more RAM the better, 2 Gig should work out fine.

OP
Z
Reaction score
kool think ill be gettin my self a mac end of next month then anything worth knowing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.