• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How was this effect accomplished?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PnkauV_ZuQY

Hey guys. I was wondering how the director of the video above produced this effect. Obviously a green screen was involved in the back, but I really dig the look of this and would love to know how it was done.

Also, is anything close to this possible in iMovie or would FCP and the rest of the suite be required to get such a look? Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It is alot of the program "After effects", maybe just the background was made in after effects, and the people could have been composited into it with "shake" then timed out to the music and cut between shots, in a program like "final cut" but there is no way to do this in imovie in its self, and probably impossible to do it with only final cut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Green screens, After Effects, Motion, Final Cut Pro, and *maybe* Shake.

Nzingha Stewart directed it, but he (she?) doesn't have an email address that I could find...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yeah, there is a lot more going on there than just one application. You would need some pretty high-end pro apps to accomplish that effect.

OP
WasabiTaylor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Any way to accomplish at least the look for the people in iMovie? The white skin and the dark black hair and clothes? I understand this is high end stuff but I just really dig the look.

Also, that ChatFX app seems to have a green screen feature, but I can't find a good plug-in for a green screen with iMovie. I found a blue screen one, but that requires that I hang up something blue behind the screen. Anyone know of a green screen effect like the iChat in Leopard works for iMovie? I think that'd be really cool.

Reaction score
the black and white effect on the singer was done by keying out the green screen, then desaturating the character, then adjusting the contrast to its highest possible factor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I have motion, could any of that be done with that app?
or do you need shack and after effects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I have motion, could any of that be done with that app?
or do you need shack and after effects.
You could do the background with motion. It would require either finding a bundled effect that's close to that or you would have to keyframe it which will take a lot of time. But if you're pro like the people that make music videos are more time = better output = more money

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.