Buy Now or Wait?

Reaction score
I am currently on the brink of buying a fully loaded MacBook :black: However I have been waiting due to my concern about Leopard.

Should I wait for Leopard? What are the pros and cons of waiting or buying today?

Or should I just say screw it and buy my MacBook today and buy the Leopard OS upgrade once it is released? Is there any way to get a discount on Leopard if it is released right after I make my purchase?

I greatly appreciate any assitance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am currently on the brink of buying a fully loaded MacBook :black: However I have been waiting due to my concern about Leopard.

Should I wait for Leopard? What are the pros and cons of waiting or buying today?

Or should I just say screw it and buy my MacBook today and buy the Leopard OS upgrade once it is released? Is there any way to get a discount on Leopard if it is released right after I make my purchase?

I guess a better question to ask yourself is what makes you want to switch in the first place. If it's because your tired of your Windows machine and are ready for a change, then upgrade now. If there's some Leopard-specific feature that is compelling to you, but you are otherwise satisfied with your existing machine, then wait. There will always be something better on the horizon - and in the world of computers, you'll be waiting forever if you're just waiting for that one new hot product/feature.

Besides, if you choose to upgrade to Leopard later, it's not terribly expensive (usually around $130) and the process is very straightforward (unlike Windows).

I've also heard it said that it takes Apple a few months to get some of the early bugs fixed, so many wait a few months for the product to mature before they upgrade. If you follow that philosophy (which I do), it'll easily be another year before you pull the trigger.

So, to more directly answer your question - if I were in your shoes, I'd do it now.

Reaction score
Buy it when you need it or want it -- but those can be different things. I don't really need a new computer now and I'm hoping something new and better is released soon. If not, I'll buy when Leopard is released.

It's ALWAYS a good time to buy a new Mac!

Have fun.

OP
C
Reaction score
Buy Now or Wait for Leopard?

I am currently on the brink of buying a fully loaded MacBook. However I have been holding off due to my conern of the soon to be released Leopard OS updgrade.

Should I wait for Leopard or just buy now? What are the pros and cons of waiting or buying today?

OP
C
Reaction score
I guess a better question to ask yourself is what makes you want to switch in the first place. If it's because your tired of your Windows machine and are ready for a change, then upgrade now. If there's some Leopard-specific feature that is compelling to you, but you are otherwise satisfied with your existing machine, then wait. There will always be something better on the horizon - and in the world of computers, you'll be waiting forever if you're just waiting for that one new hot product/feature.

Besides, if you choose to upgrade to Leopard later, it's not terribly expensive (usually around $130) and the process is very straightforward (unlike Windows).

I've also heard it said that it takes Apple a few months to get some of the early bugs fixed, so many wait a few months for the product to mature before they upgrade. If you follow that philosophy (which I do), it'll easily be another year before you pull the trigger.

So, to more directly answer your question - if I were in your shoes, I'd do it now.

Your advice really stuck a cord with me. I am sick of my Windows PC's and want a change, now! Your point about the bugs also made quite a lot of sense. I greatly appreciate your response. I will be purchasing my MacBook today :cool:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your advice really stuck a cord with me. I am sick of my Windows PC's and want a change, now! Your point about the bugs also made quite a lot of sense. I greatly appreciate your response. I will be purchasing my MacBook today :cool:

Glad I could help. I was in your shoes as well (my MacBook Pro is only a few weeks old), but I wasn't terribly familiar with Leopard and just wanted to rid myself of Windows. I have very strong opinions on Windows Vista and just figured now was the best time to switch. To say that I am happy with my decision is a real understatement. If you're tired of your Windows machine, and are just as aggravated by Vista, vote with your wallet. I think you'll be very pleased with your new Mac even if you have to shell out a few extra bucks on Leopard down the road.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
i just switched recently and I love my Macbook.

You will have fun :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.