• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Slowing Up - General

JRV

Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of threads on hear about peoples machines slowing down. I thought it would be a good idea to get all these problems/tips in one thread for easy searching.

I am just about to purchase my mac but with all these things about them slowing down I am becoming reluctant. Any pros know why these people could be having these issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I thought it would be a good idea to get all these problems/tips in one thread for easy searching.
They already are in one place (or at least should be), the Software - OS X - Operating System Forum. When people place threads in the appropriate forum, it does make searching much easier and effective.
Forum Courtesy Thread said:
Thread Titles
Please title your threads properly. Threads with titles denoting that you are in desperate help, new to the subject or frustrated are unnecessary and usually less likely to be answered. Put the relative subject of your question or comment in the thread title. Please avoid titling threads with words such as:
Help - Obviously you need help, or you wouldn't have posted
Newb - We have a Switcher Hangout for such people
Question - Put your question inside the thread
Thread Location
There has been a lot of time taken to divide Mac-Forums into the sub-forums we have based on content we have seen over the years. It takes much less time to decide which forum your thread is relative than it took to write your thread. So if you have the time to make a thread, you have the time to find the appropriate forum to post it in. Please use your best judgement to determine the location, and don't post in a forum of high volume (such as Anything Goes). The majority of people seem to use the Get New feature anyway, and will see your thread regardless of which forum it was posted.

There are times that threads may be relative to several forums. Such as a Powerbook owner with a software problem. Even though the problem is on a Powerbook, it is a software problem, and should be located in a software forum.

To answer your question: Generally, this is not a 'problem' but rather a perception of things. The best suggestion to clear this up is that the user download and install an app like MacJanitor. Also, keeping things organized and off the desktop is another way to keep things flowing smoothly in OS X. Large folders with many items will take a little longer to load, so organizing them is one way to keep things not only tidy, but a little snappier to boot.
:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.