Widgets

Reaction score
I have searched here for a way to change my e-mail widget in my dashboard
(I think that is what it is called) Sorry really new at this. I downloaded the one that I want from Apple but it will not change how many e-mails are in my box & can't get it to go on my dashboard. What am I doing wrong ?? Have tried dragging it but it just won't go in.

Thanks
For the help here

Learning a lot here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Which widget is it specifically? Normally, email widgets just display the number of emails you have, or the fact that you have new email, not effect any changes to the actual contents of your inbox.

To install pretty much any widget, just download it. It should auto install, show you a preview, and ask you if you want to keep it. You select yes/no as you wish, based on how well you like the widget and that is it.

Does that help? If not, please post back.

OP
M
Reaction score
I wanted to change my e-mails widget in my dashboard but can't seem to get it to go in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the widget is not yet installed? It is not actually in Dashboard yet? Which widget is it, and exactly what steps are you following to try and install it? If you can post the steps you are following, and where it goes wrong for you, I am sure we can tell you where it is going off the rails.

OP
M
Reaction score
I go to mange widets but it is not in the list of widgtes but yet it is there on my screen I do everything to set it up & then try to drag it to the dashboard but nothing happens.

Also would like to know how to download music to my Mp 3 player. Have the music just not to sure how to go about getting it on the player. I can plug it into a ubs port but not to sure where to go from there.

Thanks for putting up with me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you go to Dashboard, so that you can see the widget, every widget has a little "i" button somewhere near the bottom (well most do anyway) that provides information about the widget. You usually have to run your mouse pointer over the widget to get the "i" to show up. Could you do this and report back what widget it is?

Does it really show up in Dashboard, or is it visible on your main desktop when you haven't gone into Dashboard? Sorry for the stupid question (please don't be offended, I just want to be sure here, since a normal widget has to show up in Manage Widgets to show up in Dahsboard), but is it perhaps simply the Mail program icon on your Dock that you are referring to?

OP
M
Reaction score
I go inot dashboard & everything goes grey right. The I click on manage widgets & then it shows up on my desktop. I click on the little i & fix it up the way that I want it right. But from there it just sits there. I can move all over the desktop but it will not stay anywhere. As soon as I click on something like Safri then it just disappears. Hope that I explained this right. Can't get it to stay on the dock I think that it is called. Tahnks for bearing with me learning a whole new language here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I *think* you just described exactly how Dashboard is supposed to work! When you select Dashboard, OS X puts up an overlay on top of your normal desktop, showing you all your widgets. Your desktop is "grayed out" sort of while Dashboard is showing. As soon as you click on your desktop, or press the Dashboard button again, Dashboard goes away and your desktop is back.

In general, there is no way to get Widgets to show permanently on your desktop. There are some tricks you can use to achieve this result, but they seem pretty complicated and are not how Dashboard is supposed to work.

The general idea of Dashboard is that you can summon your widgets with a single press of the F12 key or the Dashboard icon on your dock, view them, interact with the, and then put them away until you need to see them again. It is like having a whole separate virtual desktop that shows just widgets.

SO... maybe everything is working just like it should?

Reaction score
The icon of your Mail progrram (the blue stamp with a bird on it) in the Dock will show the number of new mails in a red circle if you have any.

Dashboard widgets will, as mac57 said, stay in the dashbaord, they won't stick to the desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.