• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iPod, or more ram?

T

todd51

Ok, I'm stuck on what to ask for my birthday when it comes in March, and yes I know it's still a bit away, but it always creeps up on me. My debate is between a stick of 1Gb ram for my MBP, or a new iPod 8Gb Nano. I would REALLY like a new iPod becuase my old one (one of the first models) is shot and won't run anymore, and if I'm lucky to get it to run, it lasts about 6 hours :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Ok, I'm stuck on what to ask for my birthday when it comes in March, and yes I know it's still a bit away, but it always creeps up on me. My debate is between a stick of 1Gb ram for my MBP, or a new iPod 8Gb Nano. I would REALLY like a new iPod becuase my old one (one of the first models) is shot and won't run anymore, and if I'm lucky to get it to run, it lasts about 6 hours :eek:

I would go with the nano.. its more expensive :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'd go with the RAM, because you can never have too much RAM.

OP
T

todd51

I see both of your points. However something tells me if the parents are willing to go with the nano, and maybe if I get money from the relatives, to buy the ram with that.

On a side note: Does the 8Gb Nano have a longer battery life than the 30Gb iPod? I hate that they are the same price, but I love how much smaller the Nano is and I'm thinking they have a longer battery life, which is a big deal for me. I also don't think I would ever put pictures or videos on my iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I see both of your points. However something tells me if the parents are willing to go with the nano, and maybe if I get money from the relatives, to buy the ram with that.

On a side note: Does the 8Gb Nano have a longer battery life than the 30Gb iPod? I hate that they are the same price, but I love how much smaller the Nano is and I'm thinking they have a longer battery life, which is a big deal for me. I also don't think I would ever put pictures or videos on my iPod.
I'd do that too. I would imagine a Nano would be easier to buy than decent RAM (unless you know precisely what you're looking)
Since you're likely to know just the RAM you need better than those buying presents for you, I'd save that for later. And if you don't know precisely, at least you have all the help needed right here ;)
Besides, iPods are just plain cool as presents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

The 30gig video has a 14hr battery life.. the 8gig nano has a 24hr battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
As previously noted, I'd go with the iPod for b-day, and use any additional money for RAM, because it's always a chore to have to explain the technicalities of something when someone is getting it for you as a gift.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Ask for the nano, sell your old ipod on ebay so that you have some money towards more RAM.

OP
T

todd51

Yea, and from what kodorsean said about the battery life of the 30 gig iPod, I'm definately going for the Nano, thanks guys!

Reaction score
Yeah, i have the 8gb black nano and its awesome. And it actually does scratch some what easily. At least the screen and click wheel, so i got the agent 18 case. The battery life lasts forever too. Its a great ipod, and ive owned ALOT of them

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.