Purchased MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Purchased MacBook Pro (Update - Some issues)

Hello all!

I just purchased a 15" MacBook Pro as well. It is the one with the 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo and 2 gigs of ram. It should come in Tuesday and I can hardly wait. From my perspective it will be an interesting one, I first started with a Apple II+ when I was a kid, then moved to PCs, and now I work in IT with PCs. One of my friends/ex-coworkers always bugged me to get a Mac but I never did until now. I'm definitely eager to see what Apple is all about.

The only other Apple product I have is a 60gb Ipod Video. I do plan on installing Boot Camp for gaming but plan to stay in OSX as much as possible. It'll be weird going from knowing the ins-and-outs of the PC world and now being somewhat lost in OSX. I'm sure it will be fun though.

See you guys around!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
Welcome, OC. Mac ain't all that different from what you're use to. Ok, it is, but it's far better! Come here often. I've learned loads, in the short time I've been here.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
It'll be weird going from knowing the ins-and-outs of the PC world and now being somewhat lost in OSX. I'm sure it will be fun though.

almost exactly what i thought too!

and i'll tell you, it was/is fun!

be sure to do a lot of poking around these forums for info!

check this out too:
Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information

good luck with the mac! and welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz 2Gb
just got one myself, I have run linux(all diff varieties) and windows from 3.1.1 to xp. I would like to say I wont be going back...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I'd just like to say, that unless you are doing some wicked-weird tasks on computers that the normal Joe doesn't even know about, you'll find the Mac to be MUCH more intuitive about your daily tasks...the methods you use to get something done just MAKE SENSE...nothing like that on a PC.

Welcome.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new purchase! Like you I've been a PC user FOREVER and am eagerly waiting for my MBP to ship :) Good luck with the switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I am in the same boat as you OC; I've been in the IT industry for over 15 years and its been all PC. I just bought a Mac Mini last monday. I have a renewed interest in computers again. Its like I was just starting out and had my first PC Tech gig. I've been all juiced up finding new thiings and figuring out how to use this thing and its been GREAT!

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to the Mac world!! I hate going to work and using a PC now!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i was a switcher a year and half ago and i knew nothing about os x. didnt even know how to close programs and turn it off ! lol. but soon worked them out.

just forget most things you know with windows and concentrate on learning new knowledge with os x. enjoy !

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It will be a lot of fun. Had my MBP for a month now and my first Mac. Lot's new to learn over again, but, at least for me, that's half the fun of a new OS and a new computer.

Read through the posts in different sections. Lot's of good stuff here.

If you're looking for one book, recommend "Mac OS X Tiger Edition: The Missing Manual". Definitely the one to own.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, OC Lakerfan! And welcome computing the Mac way! :girl:

OP
O
Reaction score
Update: Love the Macbook Pro but I ran into a few issues.

I have a Logitech VX Revolution drivers. The Logitech Control Center kept crashing my machine. I have a friend who used to work for Apple who had the same issue on his brand new Mac Pro. I uninstalled the drivers and the problem went away. I'm pretty sure it was the drivers since it once crashed my laptop just after I plugged it in. Most of the times the laptop would work fine but it would randomly crash. You can google the drivers and find users with similar issues. The control center is also known as LCC.

My other issue was with my Superdrive. The drive inside is a Matshita drive. It is just absolutely horrible. It makes loud noises and spits out all sorts of CDs. It wouldn't read my OSX discs that came with the PC. It had a problem with Ritek DVDRs, TDK, & Precision Media (the latter are crappy CDs I use for non-essential work items). It reads Memorex and Taiyo Yuden CDs fine. I don't have any other DVDRs to test with it right now. The worst part of the ordeal is when I installed Boot Camp. It would not read my Retail version of XP and resulted in a "No bootable device" error. A quick google search found the solution to boot it back to OSX and restore the partition to OSX. Feeling brave, I burned a copy of XP CD, still didn't work. Feeling like I had to conquer the issue and install XP (needed for work) I burned a disc at a slow speed (I believe x16) and it worked like a charm.

I brought my Laptop into the local Apple Store and showed the Genius the problem. He agreed to replace the Superdrive under warranty. I requested if possible to get a Pioneer or Sony drive instead of the Matshita. He also noticed the latch was a little sticky so he said he'd try to fix that as well. I thought it was just normal since this is my first Mac(book). I should have the laptop back in a couple of days and will post results later.

Overall I'm still happy with the laptop and Apple Customer Service has been superb. Hopefully they'll fix my laptop meeting my expectations. FYI, this is a refurb and physically it looked in great condition. Lastly, the transition of Windows to OSX was easier than I thought. OSX so far seems great to work with as far as installling software, the interface, user friendliness, and general "feel." FWIW IMNSHO, I consider myself an advanced PC user. ;)

OP
O
Reaction score
I got my laptop back in about a week and they replaced it with a HL-DT-ST DVDRW GWA4080MA which I believe is a LG drive. Everything is working great now. Funny thing is I called on Friday to check on the status and they said the drive hadn't come in. Saturday afternoon they gave me a call and I picked up the MBP. It's surprising how much I missed it.

Kudos to Apple Service!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
OC: how did you know which brand of superdrive you had?

Reaction score
indapino22: click on the little blue apple in the upper left corner of your screen. Choose "About this Mac" from the menu.

A little dialog box comes up. Click on "More Info" at the bottom.

The window that comes up has three panes, left, top right, and bottom right. In the left pane, choose "ATA" ... in the bottom right pane a description of your DVD player/recorder should appear.

If you have more than one ATA device on your computer, when you choose "ATA" in the left pane you'll next have to choose your DVD burner in the top right pane.

Hope this isn't too confusing. Once you actually get to the window it's pretty self-explanatory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" c2d mbp 2gb ram 120gb hdd
thank you toddg, i dont have my macbook pro yet so im browsing around this awesome forum to gain some knowledge and insight for what im about to get into. in "About this Mac" will it give me the specs of my macbook pro much like right clicking on my computer then clicking properties?

(sorry to steal your thread OC)

Reaction score
indapino -- "About this Mac" is like right-clicking on My Computer, choosing Properties, the Hardware tab, and then the button for Device Manager.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.