new switcher looking for a mouse

Reaction score
i just switched to mac this past week and im loving it. only thing im not liking is that when im browsing the internet i cant use the touchpad to go foward or back a page. i know that i have to press command [] to do that. well id rather do it on the touchpad or mouse. does anyone know of a mouse that works on mac thats bluetooth and has buttons to go foward or back a page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
i just switched to mac this past week and im loving it. only thing im not liking is that when im browsing the internet i cant use the touchpad to go foward or back a page. i know that i have to press command [] to do that. well id rather do it on the touchpad or mouse. does anyone know of a mouse that works on mac thats bluetooth and has buttons to go foward or back a page?

I would suggest a Mighty Mouse.. You can get them wireless or corded depending on what you need.

Reaction score
Apple has a version of the Mighty Mouse that has bluetooth.

Logitech and Microsoft also have bluetooth mice.

Logitech MX900
Logitech MX1000 (comes in RF/Bluetooh, so make sure its bluetooth)

Bluetooth Wireless Intellimouse Explorer

There is also some others on newegg

I've heard OS X doesn't support all of the buttons on most of the bluetooth mice even though the mouse will work. However there are a few programs out there that allow you to use the buttons anyways.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
While the Mighty Mouse is cosmetically pleasing and complements the look of your Mac, IMO it's not the best choice out there. There are a number of glitches with it that take some getting used to. I have a Logitech V270 bluetooth mouse that works well, but it doesn't have the buttons you're after. You can use just about any wired or wireless mouse with your Mac, but if it has special buttons, you'll need to make sure it either comes with a Mac-centric driver (many do not) or you'll need to purchase a program like USB Overdrive or Steermouse (I own both and much prefer Steermouse since it works with bluetooth in addition to USB mice - as the name suggests, USB overdrive is just for USB devices).

My suggestion would be to go out to your local electronics retailer and see which one fits your needs best. If it doesn't come with a Mac driver, check into Steermouse.

Reaction score
The mighty mouse can't be configured to have back/forward buttons in a Web browser. I suggest any multi-button mouse by a good company that supplies Macintosh drivers. Logitech makes good devices, but not always Mac-friendly.
You'll need a mouse with a mac driver because of the button config you want. Otherwise, any mouse would work with your Mac.

Reaction score
Not bluetooth, but I've had much luck (and fun) with the Logitech LX7.

Nice balance, weight, and solidly built.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Apple has a version of the Mighty Mouse that has bluetooth.

Logitech and Microsoft also have bluetooth mice.

Logitech MX900
Logitech MX1000 (comes in RF/Bluetooh, so make sure its bluetooth)

Bluetooth Wireless Intellimouse Explorer

There is also some others on newegg

I've heard OS X doesn't support all of the buttons on most of the bluetooth mice even though the mouse will work. However there are a few programs out there that allow you to use the buttons anyways.

I'm pretty sure the Logitech MX1000 only comes with Bluetooth, if you buy the bluetooth mouse and keyboard set for $150.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks for the steermouse sugestion. i install the demo and it make my wireless mighty mouse do exactly what i want! now i can go foward or back a page while browsing the web. thank you very much!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanks for the steermouse sugestion. i install the demo and it make my wireless mighty mouse do exactly what i want! now i can go foward or back a page while browsing the web. thank you very much!

One suggestion - register Steermouse well before your trial period is up, because it takes a couple of days to receive your registration code. Also, my spam filter (Yahoo mail) caught the message and transferred it to my Spam folder without my knowledge, so be aware that the wording of the email might trigger it to be filtered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
twinturbo350z... Which buttons are you using for you back and foward buttons?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Oh but there's a really neat way to do it. I'm assuming you have a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Yeah, I'm a noob meself, having just received my first MacBook not even 13 hours ago. Still, my 8 y.o. daughter and I were playing with it tonight using Photo Booth and Firefox. Then I saw her do something. She was scrolling web pages with her fingers.

Turns out (and this is probably known to everyone who has been around for more than a week) if you hold one finger steady on the touch pad and stroke another finger elsewhere on the touch pad, the cursor remains steady and the page scrolls as much or as little as you want.

Probably in a week I'll want some other cursor type device. I come from using a 3 button trackball on my Linux/Windows desktops, and a 3 button trackstick combo on my Linux/Windows ThinkPad. So far though, it's been a pretty decent experience.

Good luck!

OP
T
Reaction score
im now using the scroll ball to scroll up and down but if i go side to side in a web browser it goes back and forth between pages. i have it set up to do that only in firefox. every other program will stll scroll side to side except firefox. steermouse has profiles you set for diffrent programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Does it have to be Bluetooth? I would strongly recommend Logitech's wireless S530 keyboard and mouse. See:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=11420

I am using it myself and it is one of the best I have worked with. Great low profile keyboard with nice tactile feedback, and an excellent mouse - good weight, lots of extra buttons, and as you have requested, two of them function as forward and back in browsers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.