• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Some Major Switching Ahead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
The church where I minister at has 7 staff ministers and 8 support staff. As it stands right now 4 of the 7 ministers are using Macs. (my goal in the next 3 to 5 years is go all Mac, including all support staff. The issue I'm struggling with is our server. It is a Dell unit about 2 1/2 ears old running Windows Server 2003. Eventually I want to switch over to a Mac Server but there is some software that we use that is not and will not be available for the Mac OS. Soooo, with the advent of the new Intel Macs would it be possible to log into a Intel Mac Server (if such a thing exists) and while some staff are running Windows apps, others could be doing, say iCal sharing?

Also, our IT guy is very open to eventually going to a Mac Server, but at this time doesn't think the support is quite there yet, is he correct?

Oops, sorry I thought I posted this in the Switcher section not the Anything Goes.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
do you need a mac server?

in our huge company all the macs use a number of shares that are located on emc disk and accessed through shares on windows file and print servers.

is it just so the "IT" guy only has to deal with one type of OS? or is it something i'm missing?

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
do you need a mac server?

in our huge company all the macs use a number of shares that are located on emc disk and accessed through shares on windows file and print servers.

is it just so the "IT" guy only has to deal with one type of OS? or is it something i'm missing?

That is a good question, I'm not sure that we do. I guess my thought was if everyone on staff and support staff has Mac's then why not the server too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
theres only one solution for servers: linux

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Well, macAttack, perhaps not the ONLY solution! A good one, granted, but not the only one.

OP
Dillinger-63
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still open to suggestions, why Linux, is it the best server for bot windows and Mac users or what?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.