Perfect Configuration

Reaction score
Hey!
First of all I just want to say I’m about to be owner of a MacBook. I have always worked on a PC and this is another world for me. That’s why I need somebody’s help. The reason I wanted to buy a Mac is that I work with music and film.
I know I know, if I work with film why not buy a MacBooK pro... simple I don’t have the money (and my real field is the sound). I also didn’t want to buy a desktop, because of study porpuses. So I decided to buy the MacBook with 1 GB RAM, 120 hard disk, iWork 06 and Mini-DVI-VGA adaptor (so I can use two monitors). I already have:
For win: winxp, macromedia studio (I also work a little bite with page design), cubase, reason, office, and the software from a line 6 interface also compatible with Mac.
For Mac: logic express, final cut had express and office.

Ok and now my question:
How do I do to put all things working as good as possible? How must I do the partition? Witch programmes should I install where? (I don’t care if I don’t have it for the right operation system). To be short, how must I do the perfect configuration? (I know perfect doesn’t exist but, as good as it gets :))

Thanks
3,14p

pd: how about security? For booth win and os? What should I use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Well, as you probably know, there are two ways of running Windows on a Mac. Parallels and Boot Camp. I would suggest Boot Camp because music and video work is usually resource intensive and with Boot Camp, your resources are not split between Mac OS and Windows. As for the partition, think about how much space you might need for programs/working files. For a Windows partition, I would do at least 15 Gb, but more if you choose. Security isn't an issue with Mac OS, but use Windows at your own risk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
If you want to work effectively and get the maximum out of your OS X, I would suggest you to stay with OS X. Having Win XP running parallel or with bootcamp could result in unnecessary distraction(eg. rebooting, fight viruses, slow performance, etc.,). Almost all the software you have been using with your pc are also available for OS X(atleast there are better alternatives). Therefore check out with the vendor whether its possible to transfer your licenses.

OS X loves RAM. If you want better performance get even more RAM(1 GB is good to start with).

Keep your system clean. Use Onyx or an alternative software to do the regular maintenance. Once you install software, do a "Disk Verify" using Disk Utility.

Use keyboard shortcuts when you can.

Enjoy your MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
If you want to work effectively and get the maximum out of your OS X, I would suggest you to stay with OS X. Having Win XP running parallel or with bootcamp could result in unnecessary distraction(eg. rebooting, fight viruses, slow performance, etc.,). Almost all the software you have been using with your pc are also available for OS X(atleast there are better alternatives). Therefore check out with the vendor whether its possible to transfer your licenses.

OS X loves RAM. If you want better performance get even more RAM(1 GB is good to start with).

Keep your system clean. Use Onyx or an alternative software to do the regular maintenance. Once you install software, do a "Disk Verify" using Disk Utility.

Use keyboard shortcuts when you can.

Enjoy your MB.

The only problem might be that "Money is an issue". If the sofware is already available, but for Windows, you gotta do what you gotta do.

OP
F
Reaction score
Well fist off all thanks,
Now, I’ve been doing some research before I push the decisive button and buy the MB. And here is the thing. Because of my work a need to be able to work with video and audio at the same time (most of all), but I also need to work with Final cut, 3D or big jpeg, gif etc.
What’s the problem? Well the MB has an 64Mb on board graphic card!!! How can this be? That degrades the MB to an ordinary work station.
Off course, I can buy a MB Pro but men, more that’s 200 euros difference ( I live in Germany) and for almost 800 euros less, I can buy a dell Inspiron 6400 with 160Gb hard disk, same RAM, same processor and 256Mb Graphic card.

Now I’m thinking....I want to work with out dough with Mac, but it looks like they give me no choice. I don’t thing the vantage of Mac are 800 euros worth.
Am I getting all wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
MB is not made for Graphic intensive work. If you are intending to run several pro applications in parallel, you will experience some slow performance. I would suggest you to consider iMac 20" or 24" instead of a MB. They run much faster and you will have bigger display.

OP
F
Reaction score
like I said before....
I have to intente to mix the besto of two worlds (the mobility and great efficiency)
I know the better option just for working is an iMac, but unfortunately i have to use the computer for study pouspuses too.that means it has to be a laptop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.