Same topic different day...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook C2D 2.0GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD
I am currently using a pc which I hate and my fiance has a powerbook g4 (bought right before apple switched to intel) and I fell absolutely in love with it. I do a lot more of my computing on her laptop now, much to her dismay, since I switched over. Here is my dilemma, my pc is getting well crappy to put it lightly and I want to get a mac, I don't know which mac to get. I am by no means a newbie to using macs I just want some advice on what I should actually get. I love the power of her pb but I don't know if I can swing the cost of a mbp. Mainly what I do on her pb is internet, IMing, watching videos, playing graphically simple games like Sketchfighter 4000. The one thing I don't want poor performance in is ripping dvds using handbrake. Is a macbook enough computing power to do it in a reasonable amount of time and if not does this one thing warrant spending the large sums of money on a macbookpro? I hardly do any photoshop or anything to that effect, so I wouldn't really need the rendering power or anything. I appreciate everyone's help in this matter.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, FriendlyFireGTI!

Unless portability is essential for you, why not go with the iMac? It's hard to find more bang for your buck, me thinks.

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for a quick response. I did think of that and I am seriously considering it but I don't know why there is this allure(sp?) about having a nice laptop. I wondering if a macbook with 2gb ram will be able to run a bootcamp of vista. I love the way the mac looks and would like to enjoy all of vista's eye candy also but if not its no big deal, I still have my custom pc I can load that on. I know that seems like blasphemy but my work has offered me a free copy when it arrives and I figured why not. Wow that got off track. I appreciate the help. Portability would make life a little easier but is not required.

M

MacHeadCase

Myself, I would prefer a desktop over a laptop. They are less prone to problems for one thing: the enclosures are small and tight in laptops which might explain this. Like a lot of people will recommend you get Apple Care if you buy a laptop because of that.

I just feel the iMac would age more gracefully: it has a great video card, lots of hard drive space, etc.

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you make a good case, and honestly I am seriously considering getting the iMac, my only thing is a couple weeks out of the year My Air Reserve Unit goes to Germany and I am wondering if 2-3 weeks out of 52 means I should get a laptop. In your opinion do you think a mb could handle everything I mentioned?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i would get an iMac over a MB or MBP. they are nice laptops, but with an iMac you can get equivalent(sp?) for less. and unless you will be traveling for a lot a laptop is not really neccessary(sp?) IMHO.

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright that settles it I will get a iMac, now here is my other question I can't stand using the mighty mouse as dumb as that may seem, my hands get to sweaty using it for more than ten minutes. Are there any really good mac mice that offer the same functionality as the mighty mouse, like with the center button bringing up the dashboard?

Reaction score
G'day FriendlyFireGTI and I'd also like to welcome you to Mac-Forums.

I think that you can use just about any really good modern mouse with your mac. The packaging will tell you whether or not it's compatible with Mac OS X or not.

I use the wired MM with my iMac C2D and it has malfunctioned more than once. While it's relatively easy to resucitate it, it will no doubt lead to me eventually buying a Microsoft or Logitech mouse and tossing the MM.

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my fiance has a mm and it is just way too darn slippery for me, I was honestly thinking of removing the casing and lightly sanding it to remove the high gloss sheen it has. She then proceeds to hide the mm from me lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i don't know if that would make the MM useable, all the roughness would hurt your fingers after a wile, uless it was sanded with extreamly fine sandpaper

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know why it would be unuseable, the part about it that detects whether you are right clicking or left clicking from what I understood delt with feeling which side has more pressure, and I was talking about sanding with extremely fine grit, just enough to make it tactile for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
HI friendlyfireGTI!! Yay, another volkswagen fan, like me!! And you love macs!! Do you think we might be soul mates? ;) lol

I say go with the iMac! They are beautiful! I have a Macbook, I love it but I'm itching to get an iMac when I have the space for it.

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
awesome, gotta keep the VW love alive! So I guess I'm going to get an iMac....Anyone wanna buy a used pc? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 867, iPod 3G 15 gb
I'm a VW fan, too. Just can't afford anything newer. Test drove MK2 Jetta, MK3 Jetta, both were filled with problems and overpriced. Currently looking at '81 Rabbit Diesel and a '82 Rabbit Diesel. If I got either, one of the first things I'd do is get rid of the big ugly bumpers, put a GTI grille in it with round headlights, and convert it to used vegetable oil.

What GTI do you have? Mk1? Mk2? Mk3? Mk4? Mk5? I almost bought an awesome looking MK3 GTI VR6, but it had stupid loud aftermarket exhaust on it. Also almost bought a Corrado G60, but then realized how much they cost to maintain. :D One thing I'd probably never do is buy an automatic VW, especially pre-mk4.

Reaction score
I think that both the iMac and MacBook would be able to do what you want. You'll get a bit more bang for your buck with the iMac, but portability with the MacBook. Unless you think you'll be doing a lot of computing while in germany then stick with the iMac. Either way, enjoy your new computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reefed 2.33Ghz 17" MBP
I don't know why it would be unuseable, the part about it that detects whether you are right clicking or left clicking from what I understood delt with feeling which side has more pressure, and I was talking about sanding with extremely fine grit, just enough to make it tactile for me.

I'd recommend using 0000(4 Zero) Steel Wool. All you want to do, is remove the gloss from it and wool will do, just that. It's best to disassemble it first, though.

Oh, and welcome to the club! A co-worker of mine has a brand-spankin' new Gti. Went all the way to Massachusetts to avoid additional taxes and such, that NYS thought it needed.

OP
pingpongitore
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats a heck of a hike for a VW lol. I have a 2007 GTI, I love it. I have never owned such a fun car before. Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.