Reading Word .docs with my MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black, 2G Intel Duo, 100G HD, 2G Ram, OS-X 10.5.8
Short of buying Word for Mac, is there another way I can read .doc files that are sent to me by email. Conversion programs or something like that.
I really don't want to have anything more to do with Windows now that I have switched. How are you coping with your Windows friends that are sending you .xls, .doc and .pps files?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sure, you can use NeoOffice which is based on the excellent OpenOffice.org free Office software.

It's available at: http://www.neooffice.org

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You can also use Abiword (www.abisource.com). Abiword is an excellent open source word processor that can read and write .doc format.

Reaction score
NeoOffice is great. It loads a bit slowly but the functions are amazing for open-source (free) software. Unless you're using your Mac for some serious business and sharing many docs with MSOffice users, I think you'll be fine with NeoOffice.

papercut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
TextEdit can open .doc files, right click and choose Open With > TextExit. Also try out NeoOffice, it's a little slow but it's free :D

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black, 2G Intel Duo, 100G HD, 2G Ram, OS-X 10.5.8
Downloaded and installed NeoOffice. Looks good. Opened several .doc files I had been holding on to. Sent Planamesa Software $20. to keep up the good work. Thanks for the tip guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.