Help me make the right Mac choice

Reaction score
I am currently running a second machine that is a p4 that I would like to replace with a mac. I am looking at the iMac and the Mini. I would primarily be using this machine for the follwing:

1)Internet
2)Torrent Downloads
3)CD/DVD Burning sometimes authoring
4) Playing music, etc

Just kind of a 2nd utility pc. I already have 2 monitors I can use along with keyboards and mice. Is the mac mini a better choice?

Also my other concern is all my windows shared drives and folders are NTFS so I would have to convert them to fat32 to read/write using the mac right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16Ghz, 1gigRAM, NVIDIA 7300GT___MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 2gigRAM, ATi X1600 256mb
You know I see this question so often, and I guess the answers always seem to be the same.

My thoughts. There isnt "THAT" much difference in the product lines as far as the machine doing basic things like you need.

The entire Mac line will:
1)Internet
2)Torrent Downloads
3)CD/DVD Burning sometimes authoring
4) Playing music, etc

and in most cases....there isnt much difference.

Now if youre encoding and doing movies that will be a different story.

I think it comes down to 2 things. Where do you want it and how much do you want to spend.

If you want to spend about $1000....and want to take it with you...MacBook
If you want to spend about $1000....and want it to sit on your desk all the time. (iMac usually a little faster but you lose portability)

Then you go up from there.

The most obvious encouragement is to spend more now rather than later. Buying a faster processor or more RAM now will help the longevity of the Mac.

Now you mentioned it being a second computer. In that case you probably want to just get the mini because of your current monitor situation.

On the other hand, if you see this computer taking over your life as your main workstation.....pop for the iMac.

In most of the cases, the people purchasing a Mac for a "second computer" usually end up using their new Mac more! Thus killing off the "main PC". In those cases, they wish they would have opted for more power.

Good luck!

OP
R
Reaction score
Great reply! How easy is it to add ram to either the imacs or mac mini's?

Reaction score
Ram installs:

Mac mini: Pretty impossible.
iMac: Insanely easy.

I suggest you decide whether you
a) can afford it
b) need a new screen.

That's pretty much what you need to know. I asked this thing myself two years ago.

I went for the iMac 20". And I love every bit of it, because it reduces cables in my life. I love that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.