Navigate to the left in column view?

Reaction score
In column view, in Finder, of course we can navigate through the columns to the right, i.e. to sub-folders. How do we nagivate left? I am used to the tree-like structure of other OSs, which seems to be absent here on mac. But I really would like to be able to navigate both ways (up and down the hierarchy of folders).
Thank you!
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
In general, in Finder, you should see a horizontal scroll bar on the bottom of the window that will let you go back to the left.

I do have a problem like this though with File Save and File Save As dialogs, where I can't figure out how to go to the left. Any thoughts?

I know of course that you can use the Spotlight search box in the upper right to "relocate" yourself in the file hierarchy, but simply navigating left has eluded Me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
You can use command+up arrow to go to the column to the left as well as using the scroll bar mac57 mentioned

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
...and this works in the Save and Save As dialogs as well, which is great. Thanks michaelstumpf.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.