When to switch?

Reaction score
hey guyz
i've finally decided to make the switch or go dual
my home computer being a pc and on the road
i would like a mac book.

just started to look around right now,
i wanted to know is there any new releases from apple
that would make the price go down for their older models?

is it better to wait until the summer?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
If you can afford to wait, wait. If you need a new computer right away, don't wait.
I don't expect many hardware changes to the consumer line soon, and none are rumored. Still, no-one knows for sure.

But as I said, get a computer when you need one. Basta.

OP
S
Reaction score
i can def. wait till the summer
but wouldn't mind the switch now
i was just curious if there are gona be any huge changes
in prices vs hardware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
noone knows at this point
but i dont expect anything major

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I might differ with the expectation of nothing major happening.

It is my expectation that the Mac Pro will upgrade to the new Core 2 Extreme chips, which are quad cores. This will yield an octal (8) core Mac Pro. I would then expect to see the lower speed Core 2 Extreme parts moved into the iMac line, which will thus have 4 cores. Finally, I bet the Minis will be upgraded to low speed Core 2 Duos. Hence, a clean product differentiation:

Mini = 2 cores
iMac = 4 cores
Pro = 8 cores

This is just my guess, but at least most folks would agree that the 8 core Mac Pro is definitely coming up in the first half of this year. The rest is just conjecture on my behalf.

What does everyone think? Am I smoking something interesting, or does this make sense to more people than just me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I might differ with the expectation of nothing major happening.

It is my expectation that the Mac Pro will upgrade to the new Core 2 Extreme chips, which are quad cores. This will yield an octal (8) core Mac Pro. I would then expect to see the lower speed Core 2 Extreme parts moved into the iMac line, which will thus have 4 cores. Finally, I bet the Minis will be upgraded to low speed Core 2 Duos. Hence, a clean product differentiation:

Mini = 2 cores
iMac = 4 cores
Pro = 8 cores

This is just my guess, but at least most folks would agree that the 8 core Mac Pro is definitely coming up in the first half of this year. The rest is just conjecture on my behalf.

What does everyone think? Am I smoking something interesting, or does this make sense to more people than just me?

I don't see that as too big of an eventual stretch. However if/when something like that happens, you're going to have people asking "Should I buy now or wait till the 16 Core is out?" Then when those come out, it will be "Should I buy now or wait for the 48 Core?" etc. etc. Obviously, I exaggerated, but hopefully you can see what I am saying. There will always be something bigger/badder/faster around the corner.

Reaction score
I doubt that Apple will turn to quad cores so early in the running. As they are very expensive, like a over a $800 for cpu alone right now. The dual core line of core 2 duo still has not been completely exploited yet. They still have the 2.44, 2.66,and the extreme 2.93 to go. I would think they would opt for those before jumping to quad cores. Mainly because, quad core right now are not needed. Dual core are still very capable of powering all the apps you can throw at them.

What I am getting at is, as of now(next year at least) quads are over kill.

back on topic.

Why not get a mac mini now, and get a laptop after leopard comes out?

Reaction score
I expect to see the mini upgraded to C2D within a month or so. The iMac may get a speed bump or a minor (i.e. $100) reduction before Leopard is released.

I agree with Yogi -- if you need it now, buy now. If not, knowing that Leopard is coming out, I'd wait a few weeks/months just to see what happens with the hardware. Worst case, you'll get a new Mac with the newest OS. There will always be OS and hardware upgrades but why buy something that's already 4 or more months old if you can wait?

Good luck.

Papercut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 core duo white
I was just like you a few weeks ago.... I wanted that shiny new macbook so bad but my windows laptop was still plenty functional for the road.. My pc at home is fine and has all my banking stuff on it plus a couple of Gigs of family pictures.

Needless to say, that shiny macbook finally became too much for me to withstand.. I bought a 2.0 G white one and absolutely love it!

I dont use anything but the macbook now for everything but the banking stuff. As soon as something breaks on the home pc (i usually dont wish for expensive things to break) I will be buying a n iMac to replace it. Only drawback is teaching the wife to work in OS X......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.