• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iWork spreadsheet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Is it going to happen and when???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz iMac Core 2 Duo, 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4
I saw a screenshot and an icon of a speadsheet application that looks like Pages before macworld, don't know if these were made up or not. If you look at the history of iLife and iWork, they've added a new app to one each year since 2004

04 - Garageband
05 - Pages
06 - iWeb
07 - ?

Reaction score
I thought iWork was just AppleWorks (fmr: Claris Works) with a new name. AppleWorks has(had) a spreadsheet program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
No, iWork reuses bits of AppleWorks but it is only the word processor and the presentation program (Pages and Keynote). I used ClarisWorks since version 1 and it's very good, but AppleWorks has languished somewhat in favour of iWork. It's a shame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Think Secret has information about (and screenshots of) the spreadsheet rumoured to be included with iWork '07. I'm really looking forward to it! (That said, I'm also surprisingly excited by the screenshots I've seen from the upcoming version of Microsoft Office for Mac; I've long believed that Office 2004 for Mac is superior in so many ways to Office 2003 for Windows -- now if they can add real support for Exchange in the next Office, it'll make me very happy).

Reaction score
Going by the screenshot, I think Apple might not succeed to well. I don't know about functionality, but I wonder whether Apple can find a way to bring the design and style-oriented-ness of Pages and Keynote to a spreadsheet app, as well as keep the powerful functions that you'd expect from such a program, as we all know and accept, Excel has so many functions and possibilites unexplored, maybe Apple will make it simpler and more "real-world" solution oriented than Excel.

Of course they can and will, they're Apple.

Reaction score
Gah, i could really do with this right now, i've got an excel based assignment due in on friday and i don't want to have to buy excel to do it :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
use NeoOffice or OpenOffice if you need a really good spreadsheet application now (also google for Google docs & Spreadsheet - the docs part is pretty good and requires noting to be installed on your machine - I imagine the spreadsheet part is good as well)

EDIT:

Links:

NeoOffice
OpenOffice
Google Docs & Spreadsheet (Tour)

Reaction score
use NeoOffice or OpenOffice if you need a really good spreadsheet application now (also google for Google docs & Spreadsheet - the docs part is pretty good and requires noting to be installed on your machine - I imagine the spreadsheet part is good as well)

EDIT:

Links:

NeoOffice
OpenOffice
Google Docs & Spreadsheet (Tour)

I tried with Safari, Sunrise and Opera but got "unsupported browser" on all three. Darn!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I tried with Safari, Sunrise and Opera but got "unsupported browser" on all three. Darn!

NeoOffice and OpenOffice open just fine in Safari on every machine here. The Google one needs Camino for now. Safari support is on the way though.

Download Camino for Google Spreadsheet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Or go to your school (or local) library; they should have Excel if NeoOffice doesn't support your needs (which it should do unless you need VBA macros).

Reaction score
My Search Begins

No, iWork reuses bits of AppleWorks but it is only the word processor and the presentation program (Pages and Keynote). I used ClarisWorks since version 1 and it's very good, but AppleWorks has languished somewhat in favour of iWork. It's a shame.

2007-02-18

I'm really out of the Mac loop. I hate to admit that I went Windows XP (I know I have just risked being banned for being obscene) three years ago (I wanted to use "Simply Accounting" - - turned out to be a bust) and before that I was running OS 8.6. I LOVED AppleWorks - - so simple to use, especially for Spread Sheets. I don't know if anyone from Apple monitors this Forum, but I'd really like to know if AppleWorks will be back. If not, they are missing the boat - - it is a cornerstone programme IMO. Do you know if AppleWorks 6 works in the current OSx or if it will work on the (hopefully) soon to arrive Leopard? Soon, I will be back with the Mac flock. :yinyang:

TerryMik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't count on the return of AppleWorks. With iWork, I really don't see a place for AppleWorks. I'd argue that iWork is the equivalent anyway, except more feature rich (although lacking a database application).

Reaction score
2007-02-18

Does iWork have Spread Sheet Functions (other than the ability to add tables)?

TerryMik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
2007-02-18

Does iWork have Spread Sheet Functions (other than the ability to add tables)?

TerryMik

Tables, Numbers and Charts can be inserted into Pages 2. which may well be enough for many people.

Steve 2005. "With iWork we're building a successor to AppleWorks"

Things change but I'm hopeful that there is still a need for a real Mac Office suite that includes a Spreadsheet done right.

Reaction score
Here, Here

Tables, Numbers and Charts can be inserted into Pages 2. which may well be enough for many people.

Steve 2005. "With iWork we're building a successor to AppleWorks"

Things change but I'm hopeful that there is still a need for a real Mac Office suite that includes a Spreadsheet done right.

2007-02-19

I couldn't agree more.

TerryMik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I really hope they do, this would be a great addition to iWork, plus a database program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Agree. We have Pages and we have Keynote. Give us a good spreadsheet and we can take on the MS-Office jauggernaut!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Spreadsheet App Confirmed, Part of iWork '08
Submitted by Cleve Nettles on Mon, 08/06/2007 - 09:33.

Details are light on this one but we've got it through a very reliable source that Apple will indeed be releasing the long awaited spreadsheet application as part of iWork '08 tomorrow. It is supposed to be a "whole new way to work with spreadsheets." Also noted were the tie-ins between iWork and the .Mac service that Apple provides for $99/year. In the past rumors have circulated about a Google Hosted agreement with .Mac and it isn't certain if Google Docs and spreadsheets will also be tied in.

Link: http://9to5mac.com/iwork-update-august-7th-spreadsheets-54235423 :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Whoa, now I'm super excited for tomorrow.:p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.