Windows Media Player for IMac

Reaction score
Hellow everyone! Brand new Mac user here! I tried to play some movie
trailers at imdb.com but the only options were WMP & RP. I downloaded
WMP for Mac. When I tried to run it, I got a pop up that said that
there was no program to open WMP. So, my question is how do I get WMP
to work with my IMac? Any help is greatly appreciated!

JRV

Reaction score
that was a great find. does quicktime play avi yet? i think last time i had my mac(about a year ago) i couldn't play avi's. it would be great if quicktime could play avi's.

T

todd51

Try a program called VLC for .avi files. Usually plays all of mine but every once in a while I will get one that doesn't play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
to play avi files, you can divx player

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Reaction score
I just realized looking at the file type in order to install windows media player, you must have stuffit expander in order to open up the windows media file, once you do that, I am sure you won't have problems installing. I haven't done it myself, but if you look at the extension of the file that you download it's a stuffit type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.16Ghz, 1gigRAM, NVIDIA 7300GT___MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz, 2gigRAM, ATi X1600 256mb
Its funny.

The other day a buddy and I were comparing boot times on our notebooks. Both have similar specs: mine a MBP 2.33Ghz and his a Windows book. While mine started in about 15 sec, his started up soooo slow and he wondered why. I told him it had alot to do with Windows letting all kinds of applications and junk start up in the begining that you really dont want to start at all. OS X only loads...... the OS....until you instal windows media player. It gives itself permission to start up right in the begining. ****** itself, but it also makes my desktop look like garbage. When there was no direct way to change that, I deleted it and switched to VLC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
there is also a big difference between the boot up times of the intel machines vs. the PPC ones. the intel ones have been a lot faster.

just to be safe, i use VLC, Quicktime w/ flip, DivX and one other one I can't recall now. i can usually get whatever video file playing with at least one of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
that was a great find. does quicktime play avi yet? i think last time i had my mac(about a year ago) i couldn't play avi's. it would be great if quicktime could play avi's.

Ok as a disclaimer I haven't had a chance to check this out yet... but this app called Perian (http://www.perian.org/) seems to be a pretty nice app for Quicktime compatibility. I find myself using VLC a lot... And I love it... but nothing like a new free app to fool around with!

Anyways...

Flip4Mac as suggested earlier is a great WMP solution, IMHO

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.