Switching to Mac

Reaction score
I have been considering the switch to Mac for a while now. I currently use my PC to backup my DVD's as well as convert them to play on my iPod. I would like to use a Mac to do this going forward. I am on a tight budget and am looking at the 17" iMac 2Ghz Mac w/ 1GB of RAM. I am considering upgrading to 2GB of RAM if it would make a difference in the ripping/burning process. Does anyone have an information that would help me with this decision? Also if you you can give me average times it takes to burn with either RAM sizes with the same configuration I would appreciate it.

Reaction score
Ok.. I would get the iMac 17" 2.0 GHz (not the 1.83, it seems like a little but, no super drive, 512 less ram, cheap graphics...) It come with 1Gb ram, which i think would be fine for you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
I have been considering the switch to Mac for a while now. I currently use my PC to backup my DVD's as well as convert them to play on my iPod. I would like to use a Mac to do this going forward. I am on a tight budget and am looking at the 17" iMac 2Ghz Mac w/ 1GB of RAM. I am considering upgrading to 2GB of RAM if it would make a difference in the ripping/burning process. Does anyone have an information that would help me with this decision? Also if you you can give me average times it takes to burn with either RAM sizes with the same configuration I would appreciate it.

Be advised that iMacs, although quite wonderful capable machines, do have slow optical drives -- and they are not upgradable. Problem easily solved by utilizing external drive -- but that's more bucks. My iMac specs are to the left.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.